Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Easy Routes on Tahquitz?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

little_tim

Mar 15, 2002, 4:42 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Easy Routes on Tahquitz?  (North_America: United_States: California: Riverside_County: Tahquitz_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was curious if anyone can recomend some nice routes on Tahquitz. I have never done any multi-pitch climbs, but have done single pitch stuff at J-Tree. I've heard The Trough is a nice intro to multi-pitch climbing. Does anyone have any other suggestions? 5.6 and under, We'll keep it simple at first

Thanks
Tim-

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 15, 2002, 5:47 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Easy Routes on Tahquitz? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Left Ski Track (5.6)... It's in the Routes DBase. I took my niece and nephew up it, and they never climbed before that.

rrrADAM

hangerlessbolt

Mar 15, 2002, 6:02 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Without knowing you're previous experience and climbing ability, the routes that I suggest may be over your head...or cause you to fall asleep while doing them.

With that said:

Fingertip Traverse 5.3, is a relatively easy route with regards to route finding and climbing ease.

Angel's Fright 5.5

Jenson's Jaunt 5.6, this is a fun route with good pro. Has a step-around move that is a bit exposed but protectable.

Left Ski Track 5.6, This route is a blast; however, you'll need to girth-hitch chicken heads on the first pitch for protection. This route has a few sections of solid 5.6.

The Error 5.6, There are some sketchy blocks of rock on this route, keep that in mind as you're climbing. The route is enjoyable.

*Note: If you've never gone down the Friction Decent of Tahquitz...please be very careful. Try to find others that have done it before and follow them down.

Bring plenty of water and food. Be careful of storing your food in your pack as there are hungry animals that will chew through it to get to the goodies.

(If you have any further questions, you can PM me...)

"Climb hard and fall infrequently"

-Hanger

[ This Message was edited by: hangerlessbolt on 2002-03-15 10:06 ]

little_tim

Mar 16, 2002, 2:19 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys!!! I will take a look at them. I hope to get up there when the weather warms up. Thanks again.

Tim-

apollodorus

Mar 16, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an old Tahquitz guide, and it is FULL of moderate free climbs. I've only climbed there once, and that was across the valley at Suicide Rocks. The rock quality is excellent, as good as the best in Yosemite.

If I could Brain Scan this guide onto the net, and give it to you, I would. Since it's only text descriptions, I guess I could type the whole thing here, but that would require a motivator that I'm too old to partake of.

If you have a specific route in mind, I will hypertype the old Wilt's guide info. Failing that, I am NOT going to sell my little orange book.

[ This Message was edited by: apollodorus on 2002-03-15 22:18 ]

radistrad

Mar 25, 2002, 12:27 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought Sahara Terror 5.6 was a good route, the crux came on the first pitch and with a bit of route finding the rest was fairly easy.

addiroids

Apr 10, 2002, 3:58 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will have to disagree on the location of the crux of Sahara Terror. I thought it was just off the belay on pitch 3 (the belay with a bolt). There isn't much gear and it is kind of hard. But that's just my 2 cents. The final two pitches are gulleys, but overall the route is pretty good.

Hangerlessbolt pretty much summed it up. I heard El Whampo is nice too (5.7 on N face). I would like to onsight that soon with passive gear only.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

[ This Message was edited by: addiroids on 2002-04-09 21:05 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook