Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
PA Climbers Thread!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36 Next page Last page  View All

rokshoxbkr19

Mar 3, 2004, 1:36 PM
Post #151 of 883 (46471 views)
Shortcut

Re: PA Climbers Thread! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, here is the deal. For this coming Saturday I am thinking Rock State Park as long as it isn't too much rain for Friday, it is possible I will hit Chickies or Safe Harbor. If anyone wants to come let me know.

Also, for next weekend I am planning a possible trip to Old Rag for Friday and Saturday as long as the weather holds. Does anyone think they want to come. I will lead everything if that is a problem, but anyone and everyone is welcome from Newbie to Oldie. Get at me with a PM or a post, but I would rather a PM. Later ya'll

EROCK

rokshoxbkr19

Mar 3, 2004, 1:44 PM
Post #152 of 883 (46471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry bout the double post

dontfall

Mar 3, 2004, 3:03 PM
Post #153 of 883 (46484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone up for some bouldering at Emmaus around 1ish? Post up here or Pm me if I'm on, or else gimme a call 610-791-5571. Ask for Chris S

dablunt

Mar 3, 2004, 7:15 PM
Post #154 of 883 (46471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi all. I am pretty new to the site and looking for some people to climb with around the Pittsburgh area. I live close to Lynn Run state park and theres tons of stuff to boulder and two half way descent spots for top roping. I dont have any gear for top roping yet, but know how to belay and basic safety. I just lost my job too, so I've got plenty of time to climb, just nobody to climb with. Thanks.

phyreman

Mar 3, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #155 of 883 (46478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OK, here is the deal. For this coming Saturday I am thinking Rock State Park as long as it isn't too much rain for Friday, it is possible I will hit Chickies or Safe Harbor. If anyone wants to come let me know.

EROCK

A couple friends and I were talking about going to either Windgap or Cliffhangers on Saturday since the weather looks crappy. If it's nice I'd be up for a roadtrip though... about how far are chickies and safe harbor from the Scranton area?

rwaltermyer

Mar 4, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #156 of 883 (46471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when will ppl learn that if they're going to continue to climb at Safe Harbor not to announce it in public RCing forums :roll:

dredsovrn

Mar 4, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #157 of 883 (46471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking for a copy of the old PAC guide that has Chickies in it. A copy of the Chickies section will suffice. Let me know.

Partner xcel360

Mar 4, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #158 of 883 (46472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
well we ppl learn that if they're going to continue to climb at Safe Harbor not to announce it in public RCing forums :roll:

I second this. Climbing is not allowed there, and even if 30 people are there, we shouldn't be posting about it. Keep climbing there and you'll jeopordize access forever there, for all of us, and all the PAC and access Fund's hard work will be in vain!

<=glen=>

rokshoxbkr19

Mar 8, 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #159 of 883 (46471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am headed down to Old Rag late this coming Thursday night, camping out and then climbing all day Friday, and then I am climbing locally all day Saturday. Hope to finally meet some of you. Get back to me to make some plans. 717-495-3652, or just PM me.

crag

Mar 8, 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #160 of 883 (46474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
well we ppl learn that if they're going to continue to climb at Safe Harbor not to announce it in public RCing forums :roll:

I second this. Climbing is not allowed there, and even if 30 people are there, we shouldn't be posting about it. Keep climbing there and you'll jeopordize access forever there, for all of us, and all the PAC and access Fund's hard work will be in vain!

<=glen=>

the AF has never done scat for SH. Plus SH will soon become a distant memeory once NFS has thier way with the new RR

dredsovrn

Mar 8, 2004, 1:03 AM
Post #161 of 883 (46473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the AF has never done scat for SH. Plus SH will soon become a distant memeory once NFS has thier way with the new RR

After 12? years, there certainly is the appearance of inactivity. However, I am not informed enough to say. What's up with the NFS though?

rokshoxbkr19

Mar 8, 2004, 1:50 AM
Post #162 of 883 (46471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with Dred on this one. I feel that we have waited long enough for things to be done and respected the supposed effort of others to acquire this land. However, now I feel people are tired of waiting and are ready to use the land. I am not trying nor do I want a long winded debate about this. I simply feel that the only people who have a right to tell me not to climb there are the owners, and that is a risk I am taking. I could understand if we were on some revolutionary brink of obtaining this land, but come on, its been like 10 years. I guess we should just never climb there and wait forever and then never get to use this crag (sarcastic), arguably PA's best sport spot.

If u wanna argue with me please PM me so we don't hijack the post and get away from what it's about (partners and gatherings and constructive stuff)

rokshoxbkr19

Mar 8, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #163 of 883 (46471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So anyone gonna come with me and climb this weekend? Come on, I got a few people headed out, let's do it. Enough talk, get out and climb. Old Rag on Friday and something local on Sat. COME ON :twisted:

Partner xcel360

Mar 8, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #164 of 883 (46476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not replying in order to wage a war about this, or to flame anyone or to be flamed, or to hikack the thread. But I want to make this clear to all. Even though the AF has hardly done jackdidly to get the land opened up to climbers, the RR hasn't been helpful either. They have no desire to probably ever let people climb there. But if people continue to climb there, they'll just start cracking down on you harder, and eventually you'll have your gear confiscated and heavilly fined. But hey, that's at everyones own risk. I'm just saying by people continually climbing there, it's just gonna piss the RR off to point where they won't EVER consider letting climbers legally be there. But like I said, hey, that's at everyones discretion.

So yeah we should have a right to Eastern PA's best sport crag, but we don't. And if people are gonna climb there, I'm just gonna go as far as asking that they don't advertise it on the sight.

<=glen=>

jkarns

Mar 8, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #165 of 883 (46478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

After 12? years, there certainly is the appearance of inactivity. However, I am not informed enough to say. What's up with the NFS though?

In reply to:
I have to agree with Dred on this one. I feel that we have waited long enough for things to be done and respected the supposed effort of others to acquire this land. However, now I feel people are tired of waiting and are ready to use the land. I am not trying nor do I want a long winded debate about this. I simply feel that the only people who have a right to tell me not to climb there are the owners, and that is a risk I am taking. I could understand if we were on some revolutionary brink of obtaining this land, but come on, its been like 10 years. I guess we should just never climb there and wait forever and then never get to use this crag (sarcastic), arguably PA's best sport spot.

All of you appear grossly misinformed, and your spreading of ill truths is further endangering Safe Harbor access. This is not a climber's vs. railroad issue. Climbers are currently a fly on the wall of a bigger issue. We have two options: 1) we can sit on the wall quietly untill things become secure and no one will bother us. 2) we can buzz around in the face of the bigger players, get swatted to pieces and be killed. I am incredibly disappointed that a number of people on rc.com and in the general public are choosing option 2.

If you think nothing is happening to gain access at Safe Harbor, pull your head out of the sand!!!

Many people are working to finish this deal off, including climber representative Alan Martin from the Lancaster Climbing Club. Afain it is not a climber's issue. The issues are the status of several outdated but historically significent bridges, local land owners wishes, and cooperation between townships.

While Norfolk Souther had considered making the rail bed active again, they officially abandoned that plan last year.

Here are two very recent newspaper articles concerning the topic for everyone who seems to think nothing is happening
http://www.lancasteronline.com/articles/5336
http://www.lancasteronline.com/articles/5627

Climbers are currently positioned to gain access when all of the issues are resolved. DO NOT RUIN IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The moral of the story is: Friends don't let friends climb at Safe Harbor

Josh Karns

crag

Mar 8, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #166 of 883 (46473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mr. Karns,

Do you have any "Q" Tips? I'm having problems removing the sand from my ears. Thanks for the up-date. My position comes from years of frustration and finally abandoning the idea of ever being able to legally climb at SH, haven’t been to SH or CW in years. The most recent info came from one of the FA’s of SH & CW, when I was told the NFS was looking to re-open the line. Glad to read they are not.

charley

Mar 9, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #167 of 883 (46470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Still looking for folks in western Pa. I live almost in Ohio, just off I80.

rokshoxbkr19

Mar 9, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #168 of 883 (46470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all, not that anyone seems all that interested in climbing with me this weekend :cry: , but in case you are I just wanted to let you know that the weather is constantly changing, so I will update my plans accordingly closer to the weekend. Later

EROCK

rwaltermyer

Mar 10, 2004, 2:25 PM
Post #169 of 883 (46470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my apologies if calling this out was inviting the fly swatters attention...

dontfall

Mar 15, 2004, 1:20 AM
Post #170 of 883 (46470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanna give a shout out to Glen for taking me to Haycock. Thanks Bro...good times man.

oz120

Mar 17, 2004, 5:31 AM
Post #171 of 883 (46476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey looking to start climbing just looking for someone to talk to bout the area I am from somerset exit 10 on the PA Turnpike. if anyone is in my area let me know.

ovclimb

Mar 18, 2004, 2:48 PM
Post #172 of 883 (46471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, i live in the Reading area and go climbing regularly at least 2 times a week and was looking for people to show me the ropes because i've only been climbing for about 2 months, but am already pretty decent at it. Let me know if anyone wants to climb, when, and where. Thanks
Jeff

dontfall

Mar 18, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #173 of 883 (46470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in Allentown, not too far from you. I'd be willing to show you aspects of Bouldering if you want. I know my ropes but I would feel more comfortable if someone with more experience than I was around to make sure I was teaching everything correctly. What is your schedule like?

kimmyt

Mar 18, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #174 of 883 (46474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone going to the governer's stable comp that has an extra crashpad that they'd be willing to lend to a cute, but admittedly bad boulderer? :)

I'll be your friend forever.....

K.

Partner xcel360

Mar 18, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #175 of 883 (46470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Kimmy, I'll have my buddies pad with me, but I dunno what division I'm gonna enter yet. If I'm in yours, you can just join us if you want. We'll see though. I won't know for another week. Missed a great session at Haycock by the way!!

<=glen=>

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook