Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Girl who fell in Jackson Falls on Saturday?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

panamared

Oct 4, 2004, 2:05 AM
Post #1 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Girl who fell in Jackson Falls on Saturday?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all, I was in Jackson Falls this saturday and helped evacuate a girl who decked. Does anyone know what kind of condition she's in?

I hope she's alright.

mingleefu

Oct 4, 2004, 2:30 PM
Post #2 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Re: Girl who fell in Jackson Falls on Saturday? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard from a friend that she had broken her hip. Of course, my friend was climbing when she heard the report from someone else on that same day. I guess if you helped evac, you'd know this already.
For the sake of information, I'm told she was on Tons o' Fun and fell from the top (~60 ft.)

I guess I really don't have any updates, but I'd like to hear her condition as well..so... bump.

killclimbz

Oct 4, 2004, 2:33 PM
Post #3 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I heard from a friend that she had broken her hip.

Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow....

overlord

Oct 4, 2004, 2:34 PM
Post #4 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^ yes, that sucks bigh time and is dangerous too. you can easily cut a moajor artery...

hope sho wont have any permanent damage. how did she manage to deck anyway???

panamared

Oct 4, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure if this is exactly correct, but what I heard at the time was she was cleaning the anchors at the top of the climb and forgot to clip herself in before unclipping from the rope.

I know she broke her leg (tibia), and probably had some internal injuries. They were gonna fly her to a level 1 facility to get her stabilized before moving her to a level 3. Hadn't heard anything about the hip.

mingleefu

Oct 4, 2004, 5:08 PM
Post #6 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got this off the U of I climbing club's newsgroup.

In reply to:
She broke her leg real bad and possibly her hip,
maybe some internal bleeding also, and a real bad bump on her head.
She was conscious, but not making a whole lot of sense. They
airlifted her to St. Louis. It took about an hour before EMT got to
her and a while longer for us to get her out of the woods and into
the Ambulance.

Her name is Dani and she goes to Parkland here in Champaign [parkland is a local junior college]. If any
one finds out more information on how she is doing we would
appreciate the info.

Noone is exactly sure how she fell, we know she was setting up the
anchors on, I guess Ton's of Fun, but Im not sure about the name, and
she fell about 60'. Her boyfriend at the bottom broke her fall as
best he could, but theres not much you can do

No word on whether she wore a helmet. However, most people do not wear helmets at Jackson, a sport crag.

By the way.. the boyfriend trying to break her fall reminds me of the heros thread. Body falling from 60', hurtling towards the ground, and he makes the split second decision to stand firm beneath her. Regardless of the outcome, that's pretty amazing. At least we know she'll have huge support during her recovery.

climb safe.

killclimbz

Oct 4, 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #7 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well hopefully she will be allright. Changing over anchors is the source for many accidents. I've had some close calls, with friends and myself. Fortunately if you get into the routine of idiot checking yourself, they are easy to avoid. Of couse that one time you slack off...

umhowaboutpatt

Oct 4, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #8 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats really sad to hear about, I frequent Jackson Falls alot. Good job to the rescue crew for getting her out. I hope she has a good recovery and that story about her boyfriend trying to break the fall is amazing. Sorry to hear about this and once again i hope she is okay.

crimpandgo

Oct 4, 2004, 5:48 PM
Post #9 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kudos to the boyfriend for trying to break her fall. Hope is ok as well. That is heroic and life threatening all in the same sentance :shock:

solitudeclimber

Oct 6, 2004, 1:25 PM
Post #10 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any updates?

[bump]

krillen

Oct 6, 2004, 1:52 PM
Post #11 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did the BF sustain any injuries trying to break the fall?

andy_lemon

Oct 6, 2004, 4:13 PM
Post #12 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff Stockton (pres. of Illinois Climber's Association) sent me an email this morning. He explains the accident, why it should have been avoided, and what steps may be taken to prepare climbers for a speedy evacuation from Jackson Falls canyon. You can read that here:

http://le-mank.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=22

ianwhite

Oct 6, 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #13 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to give credit where it's due to the climbers who helped the girl (Dani) after her nasty spill. I was one of the guys who happened to be in the area and stopped to do what little I could to help. Although it's always a bad day when somebody gets hurt, it was good to see the quality of character of everyone who was there. Everybody who knew that she fell had nothing else on their mind other than what they could do to help her and help the overall situation in general. It's good to know that the people who frequent the area are happy to drop what they're doing and run all the way from wherever they are, as fast as their legs would carry them to do anything they could. Bravo to everyone who was there to help

kimmyt

Oct 6, 2004, 7:33 PM
Post #14 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
with a boyfriend/belayer of questionable experience, skill and intelligence

Hmm. Pretty harsh. Agreed that perhaps the boyfriend did things that could have harmed the girl, but in a stressful situation an untrained individual may react without thinking. I don't know if it was professional of this guy to call her boyfriend dumb for acting as he did...

K.

clarki

Oct 6, 2004, 8:14 PM
Post #15 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I realize that Jeff Stockton was well meaning but.......

The climber/victim was a female, with a boyfriend/belayer of questionable experience, skill and intelligence.

He really needs to refrain from this sort of thing. The boyfreind was just trying to do as he thought best and right or wrong, he doesn't need that sort of sh*t!!

trenchdigger

Oct 6, 2004, 8:27 PM
Post #16 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The climber/victim was a female, with a boyfriend/belayer of questionable experience, skill and intelligence.

He really needs to refrain from this sort of thing. The boyfreind was just trying to do as he thought best and right or wrong, he doesn't need that sort of sh*t!!

Agreed. And he does nothing to, as he claims, "explain" the accident nor tell why it should have been avoided. Not really what I'd expect from a president of a climbing association.

~Adam~

Partner coldclimb

Oct 6, 2004, 8:38 PM
Post #17 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Agreed. And he does nothing to, as he claims, "explain" the accident nor tell why it should have been avoided. Not really what I'd expect from a president of a climbing association.

~Adam~

My thoughts on reading the article as well. There's a guy that I'm not sure I would like to rope up with. Blatantly calling this guy stupid because his girlfriend just almost died... that's crap. What kind of low life does that sort of stuff? Way to add insult to injury, asshole.

jakedatc

Oct 6, 2004, 9:10 PM
Post #18 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm not gunna get into the article...BUT

folks who don't know... "Bind it where you find it" if a bone/joint is sideways backwards.. whatever.. don't try to reduce it yourself.. as the article said it can cause more harm than good. Even as an athletic trainer i'm still not allowed to do this legally (and a good thing for me cuz i don't think i'd want to)
splint the area above and below the break/dislocation leaving the fingers or toes open and visible so that you can check for a pulse and capillary refill to make sure blood is still circulating through.

hope she's ok

Jake

robmcc

Oct 6, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #19 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If his words stir up debate or outrage and that makes someone remember to refrain from actions which can exacerbate a fallen climber's injuries, I think there's a net benefit.

There's worse things in the world than to have your competence questioned when you do something you shouldn't. They boyfriend was called names. The climber could have suffered much worse.

Rob

girlclimb

Oct 6, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #20 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IF your victum is in a remote area and you are expected to have a wait of more then that golden hour there are many instances where it is better to straigten out a broken bone and then splint it... the bone could be pinching blood vessels ext cutting of circulation to the limb or extremity which could in the end result in the need to remove such an extremity... it is a case by case situation all i know is that wilderness first aid is alot differnt then regular first aids and the rules are differnt too...

I would encourage everyone out there that is serious about climbing especially in remote areas or any wilderness activiy to take a wilderness first aid course of some sort it could save your life or the life of a freinds and or prevent serious injuries for that matter.

I hope the young lady will make a full recovery. Thanks to all the volunteers that helped to make the rescue.

Be safe,
~K

richmacr

Oct 6, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #21 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to have to disagree here... in Wilderness First Responder they teach you to do Traction into Position (i.e. "straighten the leg back into position") on ANY long-bone break, in ANY context, even in an urban setting.

**** And even for an open/compound femur fracture! ***

Quote Outward Bound Wilderness First Aid Handbook:

"Treatment of femur fracture: Firm TIP (Traction in Position) reduces pain and spam, reduces the chances of injury to arteries and nerves, and reduces the space available inside the thigh for blood loss. TIP should be applied as soon as possible whenever femur fracture is recognized..." "Open shaft fractures with bone-ends protruding through the skin are still managed with TIP."

Our instructor told us that the OLD first-aid methodology was to leave the fracture as it is. But now they teach you to perform TIP if you are trained to do so, by applying traction and slowly moving the limb into correct anatomical position. This doesn't mean you should go out and straighten every fracture you see.. there are guidelines to performing it and you need to be trained.

So to bring it all back - I would say that, assuming he was doing it correctly, it was exactly the right thing for the boyfriend to do in that situation.

Partner neuroshock

Oct 6, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #22 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jeff Stockton (pres. of Illinois Climber's Association) sent me an email this morning. He explains the accident, why it should have been avoided, and what steps may be taken to prepare climbers for a speedy evacuation from Jackson Falls canyon. You can read that here:

http://le-mank.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=22
stating, in discussion of circumstances surrounding an accident--let alone in a public statement as an org's representative, that the b/f may be of questionable intelligence was a low character thing to do.

going on a tangent (not meant as a thread hijack) what the heck is the Illinois Climber's Association? i'm a climber. i've lived in illinois pretty much all my life. i've never heard of this org before...and they represent my interests? did a google search and nothing of value was returned. they're listed on the Access Fund website as a "Local Climbing Organization" yet there's no link to any website. they're mentioned in the Illinois section of the RC.com route DB, but again there's no link.

jakedatc

Oct 6, 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #23 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kate et al.. "if you are trained to do so" i think is the key phrase there.. for anyone out there to try and identify and properly do this without causing further damage is risky ... remote area's well.. i'd say do whatever you're comfortable doing to get the person out of there asap

ABC's will almost always be right.. Airway, Breating, Circulation... if the bone is broken take the pulse below the break eg. dorsal pulse for a leg fracture, radial for arm .. if there is a pulse that is similar to the uneffected side... i'd say the best would be to splint and leave it though checking periodically to make sure it's still good

Rich.. i don't think a first responder(with only that qualification) should reduce fractures in an urban setting.. EMT's can be there within 1-10 minutes with much better training and equipment to deal with it... best to keep them calm.. control any bleeding.. monitor vitals and watch for shock

andy_lemon

Oct 7, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #24 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff Stockton replies to these comments via email...

http://le-mank.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=23

Partner neuroshock

Oct 7, 2004, 5:37 AM
Post #25 of 112 (19685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what the heck is the Illinois Climber's Association? i'm a climber. i've lived in illinois pretty much all my life. i've never heard of this org before...and they represent my interests?
okay, my above post was a very poorly written statement :roll: . i guess what i really meant is, how might i get in touch with and contribute to my own state's access org? i can't seem to find contact info anywhere. (heck, i just joined the Carolina Climber's Coalition this past weekend and was looking at the RRGCC and SCC, in addition to existing support of the Access Fund and ASCA)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook