Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

climbingtrash

Jul 9, 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #101 of 149 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
In reply to:

They make posts about useless information and try to make fun of noobs, when they are one themselves.

Funny how one n00b is telling stories about another n00b

It's a right of passage. If you have n00b stories to tell, then by default you must no longer be a n000b.Wink

quiteatingmysteak

Jul 9, 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #102 of 149 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shu] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shu wrote:
There was once I guy in Combat boots who was seen at the local crag rappelling with prusiks and "jugging" with an ATC. His technique for "jugging" was to batman up the rope a little ways and then pull up the slack with the atc.

When asked what he was doing he replied, "I'm just practicing my A-scensions and DE-Scensions. For some reason these prusiks don't work well for rappelling.

I think I know this gentlement. We will call him Derry. I heard this story about Derry not too long ago.

Derry was hiking to El Cajon Mtn. one day, and came across a few climbers. He asked if they were climbing, and when he found out they did, he proceeded to tell them that he, as well, was a climber. He had done routes up there with Chris Hubbard and Brian Spewak, and they were good pals.

"You've climbed with Chris?" one gentlemen said.
"Yeah, I see him all the time." Young Derry replied.
"Oh thats great" said the gentlemen. He stuck his hand out to shake Derry's and said "I'm Chris Hubbard. Good to meet you for the first time."

Too many good stories, involving belaying off the small loop of a Freino to the countless hours hes spent on People's wall. May Mission Gorge always be blessed with his presence.

the_climber

Jul 10, 2007, 3:56 PM
Post #103 of 149 (3467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

quiteatingmysteak wrote:
I think I know this gentlement. We will call him Derry. I heard this story about Derry not too long ago.

Derry was hiking to El Cajon Mtn. one day, and came across a few climbers. He asked if they were climbing, and when he found out they did, he proceeded to tell them that he, as well, was a climber. He had done routes up there with Chris Hubbard and Brian Spewak, and they were good pals.

"You've climbed with Chris?" one gentlemen said.
"Yeah, I see him all the time." Young Derry replied.
"Oh thats great" said the gentlemen. He stuck his hand out to shake Derry's and said "I'm Chris Hubbard. Good to meet you for the first time."

Truely PRICELESS!

truello

Jul 10, 2007, 8:19 PM
Post #104 of 149 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Reminds me of college when I would see freshmen stealing beer out of my fridge. On questioning them they would tell me that "Andy said I could take some."

I'm Andy Mad

(This post was edited by truello on Jul 10, 2007, 8:20 PM)

rangerrob

Jul 11, 2007, 2:49 PM
Post #105 of 149 (3346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's pretty damned funny that people who have only been climbing for 2 or 3 years call beginners "noobs". If you have to make up words to describe people....chances are you are what you are describing. Why can't you just call them climbers. They are in the act of climbing. Sounds to me like a lot of people want themselves to look and sound cool, so they start rock climbing, then make fun of people for doing the same shit they did the year before. That's pretty funny!

notapplicable

Jul 11, 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #106 of 149 (3271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
I think it's pretty damned funny that people who have only been climbing for 2 or 3 years call beginners "noobs". If you have to make up words to describe people....chances are you are what you are describing. Why can't you just call them climbers. They are in the act of climbing. Sounds to me like a lot of people want themselves to look and sound cool, so they start rock climbing, then make fun of people for doing the same shit they did the year before. That's pretty funny!

I've been climbing for something like six but length of time climbing has little or no bearing on NOOB status. Falling repeatedly on an unbacked up piece of gear while belaying away from the wall (both increasing the chance of the gear pulling and the climber racking his nuts after the later has already happened) is a pretty bone headed and irresponsible (ie. NOOB) thing to do.

The guys I saw learning gear arent NOOB's because their new to the sport. Their NOOB's because their trying to learn trad without doing their home work and taking the time to understand the proper methods to learn safely.

Edited to add: You have to beable to learn from and laugh at your mistakes and NOOB moments. Relax man, if I was taking their antics to seriously I wouldnt have confessed to my own. Sounds like you may caught your partner between the legs recently and are feeling like a bit of a NOOB your self.Wink

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Jul 11, 2007, 10:25 PM)

foeslts16

Jul 11, 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #107 of 149 (3225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tuwie] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clip art is fun, I want to play too....

SkaFreak

Jul 12, 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #108 of 149 (3184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [foeslts16] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not quite sure if that deer/reindeer is jumping out or being used as protection. Could you please add some red/green arrows to help clarify?

Edited to add: I also realized that you should have backed up that belay on the dinosaur. That is one bomber anchor.

(This post was edited by SkaFreak on Jul 12, 2007, 12:41 AM)

jakedatc

Jul 12, 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #109 of 149 (3161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SkaFreak] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pshh.. i'd lob onto that radish/turnip thing all day.. it's fucking truck! Dinosaurs are unreliable.. they are extinct after all.. radishes are not.

foeslts16

Jul 12, 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #110 of 149 (3159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SkaFreak] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you NOOB

get a fucking copy of john long's climbing anchors
page 145

" while the Brachiosaurus was used quite frequently in the early 60's as a means of climbing protection, it has been well proven that the Brachiosaurus is very prone to micro-stress fractures."

get a fucking clue dude...

(This post was edited by foeslts16 on Jul 12, 2007, 12:54 AM)

k.l.k

Jul 12, 2007, 1:33 AM
Post #111 of 149 (3131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bbjammin23] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes around 1981 or so, me and my other n00b buddy, we'll call him "Scott Young," hike into the Squamish Chief to check out Exasparator. We have a handful of cheap wires and hexes and two #1 Friends (yeah, rigid, no, not forged), a couple of one-inch nylon runners and our swamis. Maybe a water bottle. And Scott's new rope: 120 feet of green nylon that someone had donated, presumably once the original had been run over by a truck.

We get to the climb, and it's everything we've ever wanted in the world: a mile of perfect granite fingerlocks. A party of three is rapping and coiling their rope. Peter Croft, Tami Knight, and Joe Buzowski.

Me and Scott: "Is this Exasparator? It looks awesome!"
Peter and Tami: "Yeah, you have to climb it!"
Me and Scott: "Can we do it with a 120 foot rope?"
Peter and Tami: "No."

We must've looked like kicked puppies.

Peter (brightening): "Here, you can use our rope!"

And he handed over the most beautiful piece of high-quality European perlon we had ever seen-- we flaked it like it was made of gold. They postponed their summit beers, sat in the talus, and waited while we did the route and rapped.

I get the feeling, after reading awhile in this forum, that that sort of thing doesn't happen much anymore.

Of course, a bit later I found out that it was Joe Buzowski's new rope. I don't think he appreciated Peter's generosity as much as Scott and I did.

bobruef

Jul 12, 2007, 1:42 AM
Post #112 of 149 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cool story!

overlord

Jul 12, 2007, 8:51 AM
Post #113 of 149 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i second the cool story commentary.

on the note that this doesnt happen anymore... just this weekend (saturday) me and a buddy of mine went to a crag and there was this guy traversing. and we offered him a tour on our rope (even loaned him a harness). it does happen, you just need to meet the right pplWink

rc_vinay

Jul 12, 2007, 6:57 PM
Post #114 of 149 (2995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
marc801 wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
Yeah! All-y'all pull yur headz out and lighten the fetch up!Cool
Speaking of pulling your heads out....it's "...lighten the FUCK up." Stop this Utah bullshit of fetch, fetching, and freakin' - everyone knows you mean "fuck", so quit fuckin' around.
You're absolutely right. That being said...
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/climbingtrash/stfupope.jpg[/IMG]
Angelic

as he said before

LaughLaughLaugh

Nuggular

Jul 12, 2007, 7:54 PM
Post #115 of 149 (2949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rc_vinay] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a great story. I have had a similar experience. We went to DL to get on the East Rampart. It was busy as hell to say the least. Everyclimb we wanted was taken. This older fellow had setup 2 top ropes on 2 different routes. All climbs we wanted to try. As we stood under the 3rd choice of ours, the old man peaked his head over the cliff edge. I asked "Are you setting up on this too?" He replied yes , "But my group wont be here for another hour or so. So you guys are welcome to play around on my rope until they get here."

That was super nice of him. Didnt take him up on it though. I never trust a stranger's anchor system.

I have a great noob story.

So me, Paul and Tommy are walking around on the West Bluff at Devil's Lake, WI. We were just checking it out for climbs and whatnot. As we neared the north end of the bluff, we noticed a terrible anchor system setup and decided to go check it out.

There were 2 noobs (looked like marines) climbing the route. There anchor system was as follows: One piece of webbing slung around a tiny tree. Then going through a sharp crack over the edge of the cliff with one non-locking biner.

All we could do is stand there with a stupified look on our faces. I mean seriously, who would trust that crap. One nice fall and the crack would have cut right through the webbing. Not to mention pull the tiny tree out of the ground.

I've been climbing for 4 months now and I had more sense than that out of the gate.

I've said it a million times. "This is a common sense sport. Play it smart and safe and you'll be fine. Wing it like an idiot, and its time to die."

(This post was edited by Nuggular on Jul 12, 2007, 8:05 PM)

Tipton

Jul 12, 2007, 9:53 PM
Post #116 of 149 (2899 views)
Shortcut

Re: The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a scary Noob story of my own. I was using a friends rope that is around 30m long and was going to rappel half-way down a face and set up a top rope anchor on a ledge with a few trees. I set up some webbing at the top of the bluff and tossed both ends of the rope down. I rappelled the short distance to the ledge and tied myself to the trees. After preparing the webbing for the anchor, I clipped the rope to a biner and pulled one side so it would fall down. I failed to make sure that it didn't get in any jams on the way down and managed to wedge it in a crack at the lip of the bluff. Sure enough, it was stuck solid. Pissed off, I yelled down to the bottom to my friend and he hiked back up and removed the rope for me. He tossed the rope down and I tossed both ends off the edge again. I inched myself over the edge and began to rappel the last half of the face when I felt the ropes in my brake hand get half as thick. It hit me like a brick: I forgot to find the middle of the rope again before rappelling down. I had made it about 20 feet down when I rappelled off one end of the rope. I looked down and saw the end of the rope shoot through my ATC and I let go with my brake hand and caught it. I caught it and had about one extra inch of rope in my hand. I immediately wrapped the loose end of the rope around my wrist several times to help get a grip on it and then let go of the long end of the rope with my guide hand and transferred it to braking. I rappelled the remainder of the face with arms crossed, through a top rope anchor, Barefoot. (I was wearing sandals that fell off from the abrupt stop)

After laughing at my good luck, thanking God several times, and finding my sandals; I realized the biggest mistake of the situation. I had gotten in a hurry and let my emotions get in the way of my common sense.

Partner wideguy

Jul 13, 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #117 of 149 (2831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rc_vinay] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have alot of great n00b stories, but one of my favorite was right here on RC.com when one particularly clueless member got into a verbal sparring match about the differences and similarities between climbing and gymnastics with another user, screen name "jgill"

Cool

jakedatc

Jul 13, 2007, 1:19 AM
Post #118 of 149 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Found it chad :)
saxfiend wrote:
JGill wrote:
Ask anyone who has ever done some gymnastics. :)

Actually (speaking as a former amateur gymnast), it's really not the same thing. When you're climbing, you want a good sticky grip, but in a gymnastics routine -- say, giant swing or back uprise on the horizontal bar -- you're using the chalk to reduce friction of your hands on the bar. In that situation, your hands are really working like hooks, rather than holding tight, and you want them to rotate smoothly around the bar and not stick to it. Plus you're wearing those narrow leather palm straps.

Don't know if I've made this real clear, but the bottom line is chalk in gymnastics is definitely NOT for friction.

JL

knieveltech

Jul 13, 2007, 2:05 AM
Post #119 of 149 (2773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
I don't have alot of great n00b stories, but one of my favorite was right here on RC.com when one particularly clueless member got into a verbal sparring match about the differences and similarities between climbing and gymnastics with another user, screen name "jgill"

Cool

I've been wondering if that was THE jgill. Wouldn't that be an incredible thing if it was?

Partner wideguy

Jul 13, 2007, 2:26 AM
Post #120 of 149 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
I've been wondering if that was THE jgill. Wouldn't that be an incredible thing if it was?

Check his profile. He is Him. That is what made it so hysterical.

Some new people here don't do their research. If they did they would be amazed at the people they might be chatting with and the knowledge they might pick up. Literally, the guys who wrote the books.

climbsomething

Jul 13, 2007, 3:03 AM
Post #121 of 149 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:

Some new people here don't do their research. If they did they would be amazed at the people they might be chatting with and the knowledge they might pick up. Literally, the guys who wrote the books.
Well, obvious examples notwithstanding, can you really be surprised? Most people here are functionally retarded.

saxfiend

Jul 13, 2007, 3:16 AM
Post #122 of 149 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Found it chad :)
Yeah, that was me (you really dug way back for that). I felt pretty retarded when I found out it was John Gill the legendary gymnast. But I still say that my personal experience as a non-legendary gymnast was that friction was not what I used chalk for, but to keep my hands dry. I suspect we were both talking about the same thing in different terms.

JL

knieveltech

Jul 13, 2007, 3:22 AM
Post #123 of 149 (2745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
knieveltech wrote:

Check his profile. He is Him. That is what made it so hysterical.

Yeah, I checked the profile, actually. I'm just cynical enough to harbor the suspicion that some joker did 5 minutes of fact checking via google then created the user account as a joke, besides I thought all the great ones stuck to supertaco for the most part.

jakedatc

Jul 13, 2007, 3:32 AM
Post #124 of 149 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was more this line that caught my eye and had to razz you a little bit about it
"Actually (speaking as a former amateur gymnast)"

now i'm not sure what level Gill was a gymnast.. but he was no slouch ;)

Partner wideguy

Jul 13, 2007, 3:42 AM
Post #125 of 149 (3382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] The funny things noobs do [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
wideguy wrote:

Well, obvious examples notwithstanding, can you really be surprised? Most people here are functionally retarded.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Tongue

kneiveltech wrote:
besides I thought all the great ones stuck to supertaco for the most part.

You would be wrong. They may not be as vocal here as they used to, but they're lurking. And not just the "famous" ones. Do a little digging and reading, play a little "six degrees of separation" and people might be amazed at the skill and accomplishments of some of the "unknowns." I know I was.

And Saxfiend, I wasn't trying to call you out directly, but to your point. Chalk keeps you hands dry. Dry hands are less slippery. Not that chalk adds alot of friction, just that it eliminates the loss of it due to sweat. Like you said, maybe saying the say thing sorta, in different ways. But it was still pretty funny. I mean,

It was John Gill
Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook