Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

lithiummetalman

Jul 15, 2008, 6:01 PM
Post #1 of 74 (6415 views)
Shortcut

nutrition the right way?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Apologize if this has been covered before...

Interested in information/in-depth books covering sports nutrition for both vegetarians and omnivores.

Any recommendations?

irregularpanda

Jul 15, 2008, 6:13 PM
Post #2 of 74 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lithiummetalman] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lithiummetalman wrote:

Interested in information/in-depth books covering sports nutrition for both vegetarians and omnivores.

Any recommendations?

My recommendation: Take whole grains like quinoa, millet, barley etc. Mix them, and then cook them in pig's backfat, with some water too I guess. If you mix in hotsauce, then you'll be eating a gourmet meal for dirtbags.

aerili

Jul 15, 2008, 8:02 PM
Post #3 of 74 (6327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always advise to check out Nancy Clark's books. She is an RD with a specialized background in Sports Dietetics.

Carnage

Jul 16, 2008, 1:24 PM
Post #4 of 74 (6227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im no expert but everything ive learned i looked up online, from a body building website, and then run by my roomate (who picks up heavy shit at the gym all the time)

so most meals want to be high in lean protein and complex carbs. im not to strict about this part, i usually kinda eat what i want, when i can make a healthier choice, i do it (ie wheat instead of white anything, lean turkey burgers instead of 80/20 burgs).

i've found the most important thing is the post workout meal. You need a fast digesting protein (whey protein powder) and some carbs. you need about 50% simple and 50% complex. there are supplements that have this, or you can put some sugar and oats in with your shake. depending on your body weight the exact number, but you typically want a carb to protein ratio of 2:1. so i weigh about 170 and i get about 30g of protein and 60g of carbs.

i've noticed, since i've been eating right, i get less cramps, and feel a hell of a lot better the next day. i've also gained about 20 lbs of body weight, while still looking like i have no fat on me.

best thing to do is read some bodybuilding articles on nutrition. they know what they are talking about.

here are some links, google for more. (if i've said something that contradicts the article, listen to the article, i read this shit a while ago)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/...PostWorkoutNutrition

iron106

Jul 16, 2008, 1:36 PM
Post #5 of 74 (6220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a vegetarian and I have not found anything good. Anything from textbooks to cookbooks. Just it is hard to get enough protein, No shit. Hard for a veg to get protein?

My suggestion incorporate high protein snacks, Milk cheese, yogurt, ( if you eat these), nuts, tofu, beans into little snack throughout the day, B-12 is hard to get also read the labels choose some with B-12 in it over something that does not. If you try for just big Protein meals at dinner or any one meal you can only absorb 40 grams of protein ( a lot) at once. Also research foods that have complete proteins vs incomplete proteins.

aerili

Jul 16, 2008, 8:28 PM
Post #6 of 74 (6162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
best thing to do is read some bodybuilding articles on nutrition. they know what they are talking about.

I didn't realize bodybuilders had such expertise in vegetarian nutrition, considering most of them eat cans of tuna and skinless chicken breasts like they were the only food left on earth.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, next time I do a backcountry approach and descent of several hours or ride my mountain bike all day, I will make sure to ask a bodybuilder what I should eat.

ryanb

Jul 16, 2008, 9:03 PM
Post #7 of 74 (6141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I tried to eat like a body builder for a while thinking it be good for climbing. It might work for bouldering but it leaves you low energy and mentally week for long routes and hard work out days. Eat your complex carbs and you'll be happier.

I'm not veg any more but I still have leanings that way, last couple of weekends i've been doing 4 am starts with coffee, granola, evaporated organic milk (non instant=more protean + calcium, mix it up before bed) and hard boiled eggs.

Dinner the night before some variation of rice and beans and cheese, pb and j + trail mix + bars + goo during the day.

I'm quite happy with the amount of energy this gives me.

Edit: Dave Macloed's training blog has some good info about an athletes diet. Mostly he recommends pasta: http://www.onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.com/

(This post was edited by ryanb on Jul 16, 2008, 9:05 PM)

Partner devkrev

Jul 16, 2008, 9:20 PM
Post #8 of 74 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Carnage wrote:

I didn't realize bodybuilders had such expertise in vegetarian nutrition, considering most of them eat cans of tuna and skinless chicken breasts like they were the only food left on earth.

Also, next time I do a backcountry approach and descent of several hours or ride my mountain bike all day, I will make sure to ask a bodybuilder what I should eat.

MUSCLE MILK!!!!
PROTEIN!!!!
HGH!!!!!

sungam

Jul 17, 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #9 of 74 (6091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:
aerili wrote:
Carnage wrote:

MUSCLE MILK!!!!
PROTEIN!!!!
HGH!!!!!
don't forget to crack the raw eggs in there, yo.

jt512

Jul 17, 2008, 4:05 AM
Post #10 of 74 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lithiummetalman wrote:

Any recommendations?

For vegetarians, the chapter on nutrition for athletes in The Vegetarian Way by Messina and Messina is excellent.

For anyone interested in weight loss, my little paper, which you can download here, should get you started.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jul 17, 2008, 4:08 AM)

justroberto

Jul 17, 2008, 4:22 AM
Post #11 of 74 (6051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
Yeah I tried to eat like a body builder for a while thinking it be good for climbing. It might work for bouldering but it leaves you low energy and mentally week

Back on the diet?

Wink

jt512

Jul 17, 2008, 4:47 AM
Post #12 of 74 (6044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
ryanb wrote:
Yeah I tried to eat like a body builder for a while thinking it be good for climbing. It might work for bouldering but it leaves you low energy and mentally week

Back on the diet?

Wink

D'oh! Beat me to it.

Jay

climbs4fun

Jul 17, 2008, 5:24 AM
Post #13 of 74 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
lithiummetalman wrote:

Any recommendations?

For vegetarians, the chapter on nutrition for athletes in The Vegetarian Way by Messina and Messina is excellent.

For anyone interested in weight loss, my little paper, which you can download here, should get you started.

Jay

Jay, I've read similar articles to yours recently where it is explained about your body breaking down fat as well as muscle mass. With this being the case, how is it that so many people resort to such rediculous diets as Atkins where they cut out carbs completely? Or at least try to. It makes no sense to me.

spikeddem

Jul 17, 2008, 6:22 AM
Post #14 of 74 (6027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
jt512 wrote:
lithiummetalman wrote:

Any recommendations?

Jay

Jay, I've read similar articles to yours recently where it is explained about your body breaking down fat as well as muscle mass. With this being the case, how is it that so many people resort to such rediculous diets as Atkins where they cut out carbs completely? Or at least try to. It makes no sense to me.

Generalizations:

Many of the carbs Americans eat today affect insulin sensitivity. When insulin is released, the body is more likely to build muscle and/or store fat. This is why many bodybuilders choose to have a lot of simple carbs after their workout, along with some source of protein.

If insulin isn't being spiked/released, then the body is less likely to store fat. By avoiding carbs, one can avoid a spike in insulin levels. Additionally, the water loss initially seen in the first week or two of these kinds of diets is often encouraging to those looking to lose weight.

The body's ability to react and adjust to conditions are what encourage ketogenic diets. When people consume large amounts of carbs, the body decreases its efficiency at metabolizing fats, because it can "expect" energy coming from carbs. However, when the body is "nearly" starved of these carbs, it adapts and increases its fat metabolizing abilities. Such diets require STRICT adherence, and can be massively successful if performed properly.

Also, foods have a certain "satiety" level. That is, some foods are more satisfying or filling than others. Often, sugary foods have lower satiety than other kinds of foods.

As was stated before, bodybuilders know a lot when it comes to diet stuff, more information describing what I just said can be found in this article: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

Now, I'm no RD, so Jay may have corrections to make.

jt512

Jul 17, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #15 of 74 (5937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
jt512 wrote:
lithiummetalman wrote:

Any recommendations?

Jay

For some reason, popular nutrition is subject to fads. Perhaps because the subject is complex and there's a lot that is still unknown, there is room for people to form opinions, right or wrong. You don't see that in more mature sciences, like chemistry. No one really has an opinion that the composition of a water molecule is anything other that 2 atoms of hydrogen and 1 atom of oxygen.

Some people report that high-protein diets give them improved appetite control, so perhaps that's one reason why Atkins-like diets gained popularity. I don't think that the Atkins diet is healthy or even remotely appropriate for an athlete.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jul 17, 2008, 8:22 PM)

jt512

Jul 17, 2008, 8:24 PM
Post #16 of 74 (5931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

As was stated before, bodybuilders know a lot when it comes to diet stuff, more information describing what I just said can be found in this article: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

My main correction would be that bodybuilders think they know more about nutrition than they really do.

Jay

getout87

Jul 17, 2008, 8:32 PM
Post #17 of 74 (5926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

My main correction would be that bodybuilders think they know more about nutrition than they really do.

Jay

Yep.

"I ate 4 chickens today and drank 6 gallons of water, and I can't for the life of me figure out where my balls are."

Carnage

Jul 17, 2008, 8:42 PM
Post #18 of 74 (5917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

body builders do know what you need to eat for a long day of backpacking, or climbing or what. you may have to ask, but if you appropriately describe the activity to them, they will give you good advice of what you need to eat.

same thing with vegetarian shit.

jay: dumbass body builders think they know more than they do, same thing with dumbass climbers. find someone who knows what they are talking about and talk to them.

also note, i never recommended simple carbs only. body builders only use simple carbs when bulking up, most of the time they also use complex carbs. simple carbs are used only in the post workout shake to help cause the insulin spike, which ends the muscle break down and starts the muscle repair.

so the advice from a body builder on what i should eat during a full day of climbing?

good breakfast of eggs bacon, and some complex carbs, like oatmeal. A protein shake when i get to the wall so i dont get hungry, but dont get full, 2 turkey sandwiches(wheat bread) during the day, about 3 hours apart, then a good dinner. i throw a(note: only 1 Gatorade, im drinking mostly water during the day) Gatorade to help keep my energy up. This works for me. I dunno what a vegetarian would do and honestly i dont care.

edit: in respect to the atkins comments, the idea is that if your body has no carbs for energy, it will use fats. This kinda fucks with your body though and as soon as you start eating carbs again, you gain the weight back. There are diets out there that help train your body to use fat instead of carbs(or something like that). similarly, you dont eat any carbs, but you do some other shit different. I didnt read up on it, i worry about muscle building, not losing weight.

(This post was edited by Carnage on Jul 17, 2008, 8:45 PM)

jt512

Jul 17, 2008, 8:58 PM
Post #19 of 74 (5906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
body builders do know what you need to eat for a long day of backpacking, or climbing or what.

[...]

so the advice from a body builder on what i should eat during a full day of climbing?

good breakfast of eggs bacon...

Quoted for properity!

Jay

Partner angry

Jul 17, 2008, 9:06 PM
Post #20 of 74 (5898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have about a months supply of Genotropin (hgh). It's worth about $7000. Think I can sell it on Ebay?

getout87

Jul 17, 2008, 9:09 PM
Post #21 of 74 (5896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I have about a months supply of Genotropin (hgh). It's worth about $7000. Think I can sell it on Ebay?

damn, you get roided up for that 12d OW send?

lithiummetalman

Jul 17, 2008, 9:09 PM
Post #22 of 74 (5896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies!

I checked out Nancy Clark's, "Sports Nutrition 4th edition" (thanks aerli) , which is has some very well organized information; her info on dieting is quite similar to jt512's guidelines.

Have not checked out the "The Vegetarian Way" yet but def will.(thanks jt512)

Thanks for the links to BB, Carnage, definitely has an entourage of articles!

I have also perused through some supplemental info:

T.Colin Campbell (aka Jacob Gould Shurman): "The China Study"

as well as

Weston A. Price: "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration"

Just need to mull over the info now.....

Taunts & advice welcomed!

jt512

Jul 17, 2008, 9:47 PM
Post #23 of 74 (5868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lithiummetalman wrote:
Ts!

"Jacob Gould Schurman" is not an alias for Colin Campbell. Campbell is the Jacob Gould Schurman Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell Univ. He is also a fanatical vegan, and his China Health Study, which the vegan community holds in such high regard, had a weak design (cross-sectional, ecologic).

In reply to:

Weston Price was a 1930s-era dentist who drew pseudoscientific conclusions about nutrition from observations of the teeth of "primitive" cultures. His present-day followers -- members of the Weston Price Foundation -- are low-carb fanatics.

There's not much to be learned from either of those sources, besides how not to do nutrition research.

Jay

sungam

Jul 17, 2008, 9:53 PM
Post #24 of 74 (5863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
lithiummetalman wrote:
Ts!

"Jacob Gould Schurman" is not an alias for Colin Campbell. Campbell is the Jacob Gould Schurman Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell Univ. He is also a fanatical vegan, and his China Health Study, which the vegan community holds in such high regard, had a weak design (cross-sectional, ecologic).

In reply to:

Weston Price was a 1930s-era dentist who drew pseudoscientific conclusions about nutrition from observations of the teeth of "primitive" cultures. His present-day followers -- members of the Weston Price Foundation -- are low-carb fanatics.

There's not much to be learned from either of those sources, besides how not to do nutrition research.

Jay
Okay, okay.
We all see what you're saying.
So, when's your book out, then?

lithiummetalman

Jul 18, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #25 of 74 (5743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] nutrition the right way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Finished both Price's and Campbell's books...

Both books were excellent; the caliber and quality of the books are of such high quality I have officially decided to add the books to my tinder collection Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook