Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

gblauer

Aug 17, 2008, 3:11 PM
Post #1 of 153 (15163 views)
Shortcut

Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Although you read about elongation in the Mammut 8.5 MM Genesis double rope, I never really grasped the full meaning until I watched one of my climbing buddies pop off a climb from about 10 feet off the ground. (She was seconding Double Crack at the gunks, a 160 foot climb). A 9% elongation factor= ~14 1/2 feet with 160 feet of rope out.

Anyway, my friend came off and watching the rope and my friend, it looked as if the belayer (who had set up the belay using an autoblock) let her zing through the belay device. My friend hit the ground at what looked like full force, as if she was not roped up at all. She landed on her tail bone and although it's not broken, it's mighty sore and really limiting her ability to get around.

So, just another thing to think about when you are bringing up your second.

Also...for Gunks climbers, the Urgent Care Center 3.5 miles outside of New Paltz (past 87) was amazing. My friend was xrayed, diagnosed and treated in 15 minutes! Really! (They even gave her two pain killers for the ride back to PA.) The place is only 8 months old, very beautiful and some of the staff are climbers. Beats waiting several hours at some emergency room.

Finally, Thank you Kim (Mohonk Preserve Education staff member who just happened to be walking by), Ranger Dave and Paul (Kim's friend) for all of your help getting my friend down the trail to the carriage road. You were all very kind and compassionate.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Aug 17, 2008, 3:46 PM)

billcoe_

Aug 17, 2008, 3:23 PM
Post #2 of 153 (15160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Although you read about elongation in the Mammut 8.5 MM Genesis double rope, I never really grasped the full meaning until I watched one of my climbing buddies pop off a climb from about 10 feet off the ground. (She was seconding Double Crack at the gunks, a 160 foot climb). A 9% elongation factor= ~14 1/2 feet with 160 feet of rope out.

Anyways, my friend came off and watching the rope and my friend, it looked as if the belayer (who had set up the belay using an autoblock) let her zing through the belay device. My friend hit the ground at what looked like full force, as if she was not roped up at all. She landed on her tail bone and although it's not broken, it's mighty sore and really limiting her ability to get around.

Also...for Gunks climbers, the Urgent Care Center 3.5 miles outside of New Paltz (past 87) was amazing. My friend was xrayed, diagnosed and treated in 15 minutes! Really! (They even gave her two pain killers for the ride back to PA.) The place is only 8 months old, very beautiful and some of the staff are climbers. Beats waiting several hours at some emergency room.

Finally, Thank you Kim (Mohonk Preserve Education staff member who just happened to be walking by), Ranger Dave and Paul (Kim's friend) for all of your help getting my friend down the trail to the carriage road. You were all very kind and compassionate.

Glad your friend will be OK Gail. I think this is one of those easily avoided things. The climber should have yelled either "UP ROPE" "WATCH ME" or "TENSION" when they felt the difficulties. Up rope means to take up the slack. A belayer should basically make sure the rope is almost snug, in effect nearly pretensioned. Yelling Tension is the next step up.

sungam

Aug 17, 2008, 3:26 PM
Post #3 of 153 (15159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

screw the "onsight" or whatever, just keep the rope nice and tuat for the first wee bit- you don't want any busted ankles.

gblauer

Aug 17, 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #4 of 153 (15155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I think this is one of those easily avoided things. The climber should have yelled either "UP ROPE" "WATCH ME" or "TENSION" when they felt the difficulties. Up rope means to take up the slack. A belayer should basically make sure the rope is almost snug, in effect nearly pretensioned. Yelling Tension is the next step up. "

Bill, I was watching the rope, it was very tight, there was no belly, no slack as she was climbing. The belayer wea taking up slack every time she moved and my friend even reported that she felt the tug of the rope on her harness. This accident was about rope stretch. It was actually almost shocking to see how fast she fell, as if she was not on a rope at all.

Contributing factors; Very thin rope (8.5, with 9% elongation), 160 feet of rope out above my friend.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Aug 17, 2008, 3:45 PM)

billcoe_

Aug 17, 2008, 3:54 PM
Post #5 of 153 (15147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
screw the "onsight" or whatever, just keep the rope nice and tuat for the first wee bit- you don't want any busted ankles.

What he said.

Climber can yell "tension" and the belayer should immediately crank it up nice and tight. I do this all the time as a belayer often without being asked, usually after discussing it with the climber in advance (some folks can't stand it when you do this even for the first few feet, nice to know their attitude about it in advance, most people are grateful as then they avoid feeling weak and powerless by having to ask).

Myself, I have no issues yelling tension anytime I think it's gonna be bad. In 35 years of climbing I've never had an injury as a climber or a belayer from this easily avoided issue.

billcoe_

Aug 17, 2008, 3:56 PM
Post #6 of 153 (15146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gail, thanks for reminding everyone about this issue. Lead falls can often be much longer and much worse as well due this.

dingus

Aug 17, 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #7 of 153 (15093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend Jason the Canuck decked in a similar fashion. top roped fall into am 8.1 mm rope about 15 feet up. I was belaying him (out of sight).

The rope was taut. He fell when a rock broke under his foot on the crux move.

The rope was just starting to take some weight when he landed in a standing up position. He didn't get hurt - just had to recrank the start.

DMT

nkane

Aug 17, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #8 of 153 (15076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can this type of accident be avoided by bringing up the second with both ropes, not just one?

slcliffdiver

Aug 17, 2008, 7:01 PM
Post #9 of 153 (15069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad things turned out pretty alright and thank for posting. This brings up a habit that's good to develop as climber and belayer.

When are belaying for a second or for top roping don't just pull until you feel first feel tension take another arm length and pull on the rope. The rate at which the tension increases will give you an idea of rope stretch.

For the climber pull down on the rope and or sit down on the rope after the rope is "taught". This will tell you how far you are likely to fall from rope stretch alone and will take a little of "the stretch" out of the rope if needed.

If things suck the belayer can yard in rope with all his might and the climber can be stand up and sit down to help get "the stretch" out of the rope. If it still sucks you can climb up just a bit (to where you won't get hurt) and let the belayer yard in rope and climb down a bit and repeat to take in more rope. EDIT: This probably helps less than I was thinking. While the belayer may be able to pull in a few feet or more of extra rope it just occurred to me from what bill7 said that he's only pulling in about 35lbs not body weight. I'm getting to the point of remember what I do and when and not why off hand. Continued in another post.

I'm not assuming the belayer and climber didn't check things out. If I had to guess I'd guess they'd knew rope stretch would be an issue. I've smacked my own tailbone for the same reason when on a fair bit of tension. Mostly I don't spend a whole lot of time trying to get "full on tension" unless things seem hairy and just try not to fall. I've just remember some people don't seem to check and figured this might be a good place for a reminder for newish climbers.

I really think it's helpful for climbers and belayers to make a habit of doing a half second initial check to get an idea of what is going to be up with rope stretch. There's almost never a reason for the climber to be caught unaware about rope stretch. Depending on experience and rope drag the belayer should be able to get a pretty good idea too.

I don't think it's a good idea to leave it just to the belayer. Where the rope drag is makes a difference and it's harder to feel what's going to happen from the other end. You can actually make some educated guesses if you pay attention where the drag is on the climb. I think (haven't climbed much recently going by memory) the higher the drag is the harder it is to feel the amount of the climbers movement given the same amount of drag. Not sure why.

Do climbing schools or any of the books teach this? EDIT:Testing stretchyness I don't remember seeing this consistently. I always do a check even if I "know" what the results are going to be. It's harder for me to forget to do things I always do then try to remember to do them when I need them.

Not trying to rag to much was the other second? (one double on a lead) spotting? Also not a bad idea when things get stretchy.

Hope this post isn't stupid because it's too basic. I'm really out of the loop about the currents state of noobs to intermediate climbers. Mostly be climbing with "old/middle age farts" the times I've gotten out over the last few years.

Peace

David

(This post was edited by slcliffdiver on Aug 18, 2008, 6:37 PM)

sungam

Aug 17, 2008, 7:15 PM
Post #10 of 153 (15065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nkane] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nkane wrote:
Can this type of accident be avoided by bringing up the second with both ropes, not just one?
Just re-read it, they was only on one rope.
One thin rope sure does have alot of stretch!

dingus

Aug 17, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #11 of 153 (15050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nkane] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nkane wrote:

That would help yes but both '2nds' were simul-climbing in this case.

DMT

sterlingjim

Aug 17, 2008, 7:45 PM
Post #12 of 153 (15047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:

Anyway, my friend came off and watching the rope and my friend, it looked as if the belayer (who had set up the belay using an autoblock) let her zing through the belay device. My friend hit the ground at what looked like full force, as if she was not roped up at all. She landed on her tail bone and although it's not broken, it's mighty sore and really limiting her ability to get around.

I'm not sure I understand how rope elongation came into play here. Given the part I highlighted above in particular.

Also, It should be pointed out that a single strand of half (double) has, on average, no more static elongation than a single strand of single rope. Maximum allowed for certification for half is 12% and 10% for singles. Even though 12% is allowed for half ropes the average on the market is 10% or less. My point being that, in general. half ropes have little if any more elongation than singles ropes.

From personal experience I've found that some autobloc devices don't work very well with half ropes and even worse with twins.

(This post was edited by sterlingjim on Aug 17, 2008, 8:04 PM)

swaghole

Aug 17, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #13 of 153 (15044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slcliffdiver] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slcliffdiver wrote:
I'm glad things turned out pretty alright and thank for posting. This brings up a habit that's good to develop as climber and belayer.

When are belaying for a second or for top roping don't just pull until you feel first feel tension take another arm length and pull on the rope. The rate at which the tension increases will give you an idea of rope stretch.

For the climber pull down on the rope and or sit down on the rope after the rope is "taught". This will tell you how far you are likely to fall from rope stretch alone and will take a little of "the stretch" out of the rope if needed.

If things suck the belayer can yard in rope with all his might and the climber can be stand up and sit down to help get "the stretch" out of the rope. If it still sucks you can climb up just a bit (to where you won't get hurt) and let the belayer yard in rope and climb down a bit and repeat to take in more rope.

I'm not assuming the belayer and climber didn't check things out. If I had to guess I'd guess they'd knew rope stretch would be an issue. I've smacked my own tailbone for the same reason when on a fair bit of tension. Mostly I don't spend a whole lot of time trying to get "full on tension" unless things seem hairy and just try not to fall. I've just remember some people don't seem to check and figured this might be a good place for a reminder for newish climbers.

I really think it's helpful for climbers and belayers to make a habit of doing a half second initial check to get an idea of what is going to be up with rope stretch. There's almost never a reason for the climber to be caught unaware about rope stretch. Depending on experience and rope drag the belayer should be able to get a pretty good idea too.

I don't think it's a good idea to leave it just to the belayer. Where the rope drag is makes a difference and it's harder to feel what's going to happen from the other end. You can actually make some educated guesses if you pay attention where the drag is on the climb. I think (haven't climbed much recently going by memory) the higher the drag is the harder it is to feel the amount of the climbers movement given the same amount of drag. Not sure why.

Do climbing schools or any of the books teach this? I don't remember seeing this consistently. I always do a check even if I "know" what the results are going to be. It's harder for me to forget to do things I always do then try to remember to do them when I need them.

Not trying to rag to much was the other second? (one double on a lead) spotting? Also not a bad idea when things get stretchy.

Hope this post isn't stupid because it's too basic. I'm really out of the loop about the currents state of noobs to intermediate climbers. Mostly be climbing with "old/middle age farts" the times I've gotten out over the last few years.

Peace

David

Good post! Good information.

gothcopter

Aug 17, 2008, 9:16 PM
Post #14 of 153 (15010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sterlingjim] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sterlingjim wrote:
gblauer wrote:

I'm not sure I understand how rope elongation came into play here. Given the part I highlighted above in particular.

Gblauer says "it looked as if" the belayer dropped the climber. I think the implication was that the belayer did not let the rope slip; only that the resulting fall was comparable.

As you have already correctly pointed out, if you're following on any dynamic climbing rope with most of the rope out and you take a fall, the rope really isn't going to slow you down at all in the first 10 feet or so. The belayer can try to take slack/stretch out of the rope from above, but the climber should still be prepared for a (relatively) long, fast fall. Sorry somebody had to learn that lesson the hard way. Hopefully she'll be feeling better soon!

If the fall for the second is looking particularly nasty (pool of piranha, etc.), then the leader should consider setting an intermediate belay -- to shorten the pitch length and the resulting rope stretch in the event of the follower falling. But in most cases the follower just needs to suck it up and deal with it, since the leader is usually facing worse falls elsewhere, and with much greater frequency.

billl7

Aug 17, 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #15 of 153 (15003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sterlingjim wrote:
gblauer wrote:
[..]Anyway, my friend came off and watching the rope and my friend, it looked as if the belayer (who had set up the belay using an autoblock) let her zing through the belay device. My friend hit the ground at what looked like full force, as if she was not roped up at all.

Also, It should be pointed out that a single strand of half (double) has, on average, no more static elongation than a single strand of single rope. Maximum allowed for certification for half is 12% and 10% for singles. Even though 12% is allowed for half ropes the average on the market is 10% or less. My point being that, in general. half ropes have little if any more elongation than singles ropes.
I'm betting Gail will clarify that it was "as if the belayer let her zing through the belay device."

160 foot route. 10 foot fall. Three-plus extra feet of stretch (i.e., 2%) could make a very huge difference in this case.

So how much tension can a belayer from above realistically apply? Normally 35 pounds or about 1/4 of body weight at best in most cases? I think I'd still deck in this case but I'd be thankful for a pre-tensioned rope.

As a belayer, this kind of situation is when I most usually appreciate belay gloves since with them I can stand pulling harder before locking off ... and repeating ad nauseum.

Great point, Gail.

Bill L

Edit: Was going to edit to mention considering an intermediate belay if possible but goth beat me to it. Tongue

(This post was edited by billl7 on Aug 17, 2008, 9:25 PM)

sterlingjim

Aug 17, 2008, 9:30 PM
Post #16 of 153 (14996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gothcopter] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gothcopter wrote:

In reply to:
Gblauer says "it looked as if" the belayer dropped the climber. I think the implication was that the belayer did not let the rope slip; only that the resulting fall was comparable.

I see. I misunderstood because the broken up sentence. I get it now.

lol. edited to correct my grammar.

(This post was edited by sterlingjim on Aug 18, 2008, 2:05 PM)

sungam

Aug 17, 2008, 9:35 PM
Post #17 of 153 (14989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A good forum user always blames the grammar/grammer.

billl7

Aug 17, 2008, 9:41 PM
Post #18 of 153 (14986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blame it on the nature of climbing. Climbers have a healthy predisposition to look for the mistakes / weaknesses.

Bill

gblauer

Aug 17, 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #19 of 153 (14937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All,

Thank you for your comments.

Clarification...the belayer set up the belay in an autoblock mode. He did not let the rope "zing" though the belay device. Watching my friend fall, it LOOKED as if she was zinging through the device.

I learned a valuable lesson this weekend, I am only sorry that someone had to get hurt.

granite_grrl

Aug 18, 2008, 1:59 AM
Post #20 of 153 (14897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sterlingjim wrote:
From personal experience I've found that some autobloc devices don't work very well with half ropes and even worse with twins.

This is interesting, and something to watch out for. I usually use a ATC guide and haven't had a problem with my doubles in the past, but that doesn't mean I won't with a different set of ropes or different device.

Gail, its a good reminder about the doubles. I have always been shocked at how much stretch these thin ropes have, but have never had to deal with 160ft (!!) of rope out with them. People who have never had to hang on doubles might not know about their elongation.

tradrenn

Aug 18, 2008, 7:34 AM
Post #21 of 153 (14846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Gail.

I'm very glad that your friend is "generally" OK.

I had similar thing happened to me twice this season.

Every time the crux of the route was close to the ground and after leading I set it up as a top rope, where I'm back on the ground nice and comfortable.

My friend Nuno find out "the hard way" that me being comfortable is not good for him, instead of 60 feet or rope we ended up having 120 with a dynamic stretch he decked every time he fell. Our situation was almost as yours with only difference that our routes were a bit shorter and to mine and Jen's surprise the rope was a bit tight at the beginning and we still got a lot of stretch from it, I guess sometimes dynamic elongation can be a bitch.

tradrenn

Aug 18, 2008, 7:48 AM
Post #22 of 153 (14842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One more thing:

It just occurred to me that maybe we shouldn't be doing harder routes with people that will have a hard time following us on, but on the other hand: how will they learn if they never try ?

I guess there is a thing or two (about ropes) that I need to explain to Nuno next time I climb with him.

(This post was edited by tradrenn on Aug 18, 2008, 7:49 AM)

Partner tisar

Aug 18, 2008, 7:55 AM
Post #23 of 153 (14838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Take elongation, a toprope and a route start just above the water - I tell you an early fall can be a real drain in the ass Cool

- Daniel

(This post was edited by tisar on Aug 18, 2008, 8:49 AM)

tomcat

Aug 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #24 of 153 (14783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Question for Sterlingjim.Static elongation is just with a standard test weight hanging"dead",like no impact force?

I see people following on half ropes all the time,but don't think it's a great idea for the average person.Besides the lack of friction at the belay device,typically either rope is only clipped to every other piece,and often enough someone gets the dirty end of that on a traverse or swing situation.

I haven't done Double Crack in many years,but recall it being pretty burly,in a sustained kinda way.Someone who falls off this climb in the first ten feet probably should not be on it on a single half rope,or at least not 160 feet of it.

(This post was edited by tomcat on Aug 18, 2008, 12:33 PM)

sterlingjim

Aug 18, 2008, 2:45 PM
Post #25 of 153 (14702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] Doubles, rope stretch and a sore tail bone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Tomcat,

Static elongation is a funny test. First you hang 80kg on the rope for 3 minutes. Then remove the weight and let the rope relax for 10 minutes. Then hang 5kg for 1 minute. At he end of the one minute mark out 1m. Then apply the 80kg again and measure the distance between the marks to get the % extension.

Kind of a long process to get a single data point.

I haven't looked around at all the half ropes on the market but I think if you do you will find they have little more elongation than single ropes. Some about the same and some a little more. BTW half ropes are tested with a single strand just like a single. Twins are tested with two strands. So when you see the elongation value for twins being similar to both singles and halfs you are looking at a value that is not what you will see with a single strand of twin. In other words, if you have a person following on a single strand of twin you might get more elongation than you expect.

Who climbs on single strands of twin you might ask. It's fairly common for parties of 3 using twins to have the two following partners on a single strand each. I know it sounds quite sketchy but it is still fairly common. I've done it pretty often but am very cautious about where and when. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone but I also won't condemn it in many situations. According to UIAA guidelines it's legit. Mind the sharp edges. Mileage may vary.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook