Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

I_do

Aug 11, 2009, 7:45 AM
Post #51 of 115 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
time2clmb wrote:
USnavy wrote:
nolifeking wrote:
Is there something inherently unsafe in that method?
Absolutely. You NEVER take your hand off the brake side of the rope. At all times you must have a hand on the brake side of the rope. Taking your hand off the brake side is an instant failure during a belay test in any reputable gym across the world.
If your right hand doesn’t actually ever leave the rope then your method is fine.

Go back and read again. At what point does a hand leave the brake strand????

It's always easy to tell who the inexperienced noob know it alls are. They are the ones that will rant on about how there is only one right way of doing things and stick to absolute "always" rules. There are alot of different ways of doing things safely and belaying is no exception to this. As long as you leave one hand on the brake strand and maintain constant control then it's all good.

Keep learning new ways of doing things and adopt what works best for the situation.

It’s not "a" hand. It’s "the" hand. Where is "the" is your right hand (if belaying right handed). It’s ok to use the secondary hand to hold onto the rope well you advance your brake hand but at no point should the brake hand ever leave the rope. It’s a hell of a lot harder catching a lead fall when you’re holding on the rope with the hand you never catch falls with. Now as one advances and they have 300 lead fall catches under their belt, some things can change.

As for the first bolded part, that's the standard method in Europe but of course we can't climb right, I mean we use singl clove hitches as safety. As for the second it doesn't there's no such thing as the brake hand the brake hand is whatever hand is holding onto the break strand.

Do a bit of travelling, pic up some new techniques.

Carnage

Aug 13, 2009, 8:52 PM
Post #52 of 115 (3857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
As for the first bolded part, that's the standard method in Europe but of course we can't climb right, I mean we use singl clove hitches as safety. As for the second it doesn't there's no such thing as the brake hand the brake hand is whatever hand is holding onto the break strand.

now you're just arguing about what the definition of brake hand is.

in america (for the most part) brake hand = a predetermined hand that will never leave the brake strand

in europe (i guess Australia too) brake hand = whichever hand is holding the rope.

both sides agree that your brake hand (by whichever definition you use) must never leave the brake strand. What we are really arguing about is is it ok to alternate which hand you have on the brake strand or if you have to consistently use the same hand.

continue on....

side note: seriously, all the techniques are pretty much the same, if you know one, you should easily be able to switch in between em. its not like it takes a lot of practice. Plus you're in a gym, just do it how they want. when you go outside, do whatever the fuck you want.

vegastradguy

Aug 13, 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #53 of 115 (3849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
What we are really arguing about is is it ok to alternate which hand you have on the brake strand or if you have to consistently use the same hand.

is that actually an argument? i switch hands all the time- it never occurred to me that i was restricted to only using one had to hold the brake....just that i had to maintain control of it at all times.

Carnage

Aug 14, 2009, 5:56 AM
Post #54 of 115 (3839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats what i had thought this thread had gotten into...

i've heard it described like this:

golden rule of belaying is dont let go of the brake strand

or

golden rule of belaying is dont let go of your brake hand

i just avoid retards belaying me. seems to work well

Guran

Aug 14, 2009, 1:01 PM
Post #55 of 115 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Golden rule of belaying: Your job is to keep the climber from getting hurt.
Silver rule of belaying: Don't get in the way of the climber climbing.

I_do

Aug 16, 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #56 of 115 (3805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
I_do wrote:

now you're just arguing about what the definition of brake hand is.

in america (for the most part) brake hand = a predetermined hand that will never leave the brake strand

in europe (i guess Australia too) brake hand = whichever hand is holding the rope.

both sides agree that your brake hand (by whichever definition you use) must never leave the brake strand. What we are really arguing about is is it ok to alternate which hand you have on the brake strand or if you have to consistently use the same hand.

continue on....

side note: seriously, all the techniques are pretty much the same, if you know one, you should easily be able to switch in between em. its not like it takes a lot of practice. Plus you're in a gym, just do it how they want. when you go outside, do whatever the fuck you want.

I completely agree with you on all points, I was responding to USNavy who said any reputable gym all over the world would fail you if you alternate hands on the brake strand. And yeah in a gym you just do what they want it aint that hard.

dorienc

Aug 19, 2009, 1:55 AM
Post #57 of 115 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nolifeking] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I belay pretty much the way you do. I can belay pinch slide, or BUS (never knew there was a name for it) but use your method because I use a body harness for medical considerations, and the high belay point makes it harder to recover from pulling a lot of slack after a clip. I teach in a gym (going on 15 years now) and teach the BUS method because it is easier for beginners to grasp (pun not intended). Once they are competent, I could give a r.a. which method they use as long as they maintain control of the rope and are always ready to catch a fall.

BTW, in answer to an earlier note about grabbing an out of control rope, slap the back of your belay hand against the climber's rope and slide your hand down onto your device, and mash your hand onto the loose rope, against your device. You can stop it, although you will lose some skin.

(This post was edited by dorienc on Aug 19, 2009, 1:59 AM)

jt512

Aug 19, 2009, 2:09 AM
Post #58 of 115 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dorienc] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dorienc wrote:
BTW, in answer to an earlier note about grabbing an out of control rope, slap the back of your belay hand against the climber's rope and slide your hand down onto your device, and mash your hand onto the loose rope, against your device. You can stop it, although you will lose some skin.

Even though I have no idea what that means, I know that it is wrong.

Jay

bill413

Aug 19, 2009, 3:00 AM
Post #59 of 115 (3749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dorienc wrote:

Even though I have no idea what that means, I know that it is wrong.

Jay

A better suggestion about an out of control rope is to not let it get out of control.

dorienc

Aug 19, 2009, 1:33 PM
Post #60 of 115 (3740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill, I absolutely agree. But if it ever happened...and I have seen it happen a couple of times over the years.

Jay, you absolutely crack me up! Pithy and to the point! Hard to explain the movement, not guaranteed, and definitely painful. And no, I've never dropped anyone or lost control of the rope.

threebadfish

Sep 21, 2009, 5:44 PM
Post #61 of 115 (3683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From Mountaineering: Freedom Of The Hills

In reply to:
The belayer's hand that holds the rope coming from the climber, which is known as the feeling hand, is used to pay the rope in and out. The other hand, known as the braking hand, must never let go of its grip on the rope, remaining ready to catch a fall at any time. It is important to maintain the correct tension on the rope, preventing excess slack, anticipating the climber's movements and needs, letting out rope as the climber moves up or clips into protection, or taking rope in as needed.

With some practice, a belayer can learn to quickly take in or let out rope as required while never removing the braking hand from the rope. A specific sequence of hand motions is used to take in the rope.

The braking hand must never leave the rope.

jt512

Sep 21, 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #62 of 115 (3677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [threebadfish] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

threebadfish wrote:

In reply to:
The belayer's hand that holds the rope coming from the climber, which is known as the feeling hand, is used to pay the rope in and out. The other hand, known as the braking hand, must never let go of its grip on the rope, remaining ready to catch a fall at any time. It is important to maintain the correct tension on the rope, preventing excess slack, anticipating the climber's movements and needs, letting out rope as the climber moves up or clips into protection, or taking rope in as needed.

With some practice, a belayer can learn to quickly take in or let out rope as required while never removing the braking hand from the rope. A specific sequence of hand motions is used to take in the rope.

There are 50 posts in this thread containing more sophisticated and thoughtful responses to the OP than your mindless quoting from a book for n00bs. In the future, you can save yourself some embarrassment by actually reading the thread before posting. Checking the date of the last post wouldn't exactly hurt either.

Jay

threebadfish

Sep 21, 2009, 6:22 PM
Post #63 of 115 (3660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The fact that you referred to the mountaineers bible - written by a group of professional mountaineers over the course of FIFTY years - as a "book for n00bs" is astounding to me.

jt512

Sep 21, 2009, 6:28 PM
Post #64 of 115 (3657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

threebadfish wrote:
The fact that you referred to the mountaineers bible - written by a group of professional mountaineers over the course of FIFTY years - as a "book for n00bs" is astounding to me.

Introductory texts in most any field are written by experts; the texts are nonetheless entry level. As far as the text being written over the course of fifty years, well, maybe that's why it's always out-of-date. They keep coming out with new editions, but never seem to actually catch up. Makes you wonder why they bother.

Who wants to climb a "hill," anyway.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Sep 21, 2009, 6:32 PM)

jmeizis

Sep 21, 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #65 of 115 (3644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To the OP,

The method your using sounds fine. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't understand what you're doing or isn't very versatile in their belaying skills. Keep in mind it's hard to know exactly what you're doing without seeing it in person.

Gym employees don't necessarily know a lot about climbing, climbers aren't always the best employees. I've told employees at the gym at which I work to ask people to use the methods I've taught them if they do not recognize the method the patron is using. I've also told them to explain their lack of knowledge about the patron's method so they don't look like an incompetent jerk. I feel like it's better they admit a certain lack of knowledge than look like jackasses because they don't know what a stitch plate or a munter hitch are.

If you want a more professional aspect, AMGA courses teach the BUS method (as far as I've seen). Since they're a partner of the CWA (Climbing Wall Association), I'd say it's pretty safe bet that the BUS method is acceptable. The justification that is given when people ask is that it keeps the brake strand locked off more often and the hand is biomechanically stronger in a palms down orientation. Whethere that's a fact or just trickle down information from policy makers I don't know.

You're not gonna kill anyone, the gym employees lack some basic belaying knowledge, and you'll have to get used to that if you climb in a gym.

threebadfish

Sep 21, 2009, 7:16 PM
Post #66 of 115 (3639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
threebadfish wrote:

Introductory texts in most any field are written by experts; the texts are nonetheless entry level. As far as the text being written over the course of fifty years, well, maybe that's why it's always out-of-date. They keep coming out with new editions, but never seem to actually catch up. Makes you wonder why they bother.

Jay

In reply to:
This hefty tome, first published in 1960, was the book that started The Mountaineers Books. Known as "the climber's bible," it covers virtually all aspects of climbing, from choosing equipment and tying knots to basic rappelling techniques and expedition planning. There are sections on rock climbing, alpine climbing, emergency prevention and response and snow cycles, along with appendices on wind chill temperatures and suggestions for further reading. This seventh edition, written by a team of more than 40 expert climbers, reflects changes in equipment and technique, with new chapters on waterfall ice climbing and mixed climbing, physical conditioning, and land stewardship issues. It's also enhanced with 415 new illustrations depicting the "chimney technique" and the "twin-rope technique," among other maneuvers, and a new "ten essentials" list. Although the prose is workmanlike at best ("understanding fall factor and how it determines impact forces is fundamental to safe leading"), this work remains a must-have for climbing enthusiasts.

In reply to:
Since publication of the first edition in 1960, Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills has endured as THE classic mountaineering text. Novice climbers use it as a primer; veterans use it to review their skills.

The more than forty contributors to Freedom 7 are all active climbers who regularly use and teach the skills about which they write. They have also incorporated comments and suggestions from veteran climbers around the world. This is a resource trusted by mountaineering communities everywhere.

In reply to:
Whether you are an aspiring mountaineer or a professional guide, this is one book that fits in your library and will continue to get serious use. Not only is this a classic in terms of its definitive instruction, it is also up-to-date.

Who would want to climb "hills"? I guess anyone who enjoys the outdoors... Me personally, I simply enjoy the challenge, exercise, endurance required, and experiences gained. Same reason I like climbing "rocks".

And it is hardly just an introductory or beginners text, and is hardly out-of-date. Next.

bustloose

Sep 21, 2009, 7:17 PM
Post #67 of 115 (3638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

It’s not "a" hand. It’s "the" hand. Where is "the" is your right hand (if belaying right handed). It’s ok to use the secondary hand to hold onto the rope well you advance your brake hand but at no point should the brake hand ever leave the rope. It’s a hell of a lot harder catching a lead fall when you’re holding on the rope with the hand you never catch falls with. Now as one advances and they have 300 lead fall catches under their belt, some things can change.

wow, you really are a fucking moron, aren't you?

jt512

Sep 21, 2009, 7:18 PM
Post #68 of 115 (3636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

threebadfish wrote:
jt512 wrote:
threebadfish wrote:

Jay

In reply to:
This hefty tome, first published in 1960, was the book that started The Mountaineers Books. Known as "the climber's bible," it covers virtually all aspects of climbing, from choosing equipment and tying knots to basic rappelling techniques and expedition planning. There are sections on rock climbing, alpine climbing, emergency prevention and response and snow cycles, along with appendices on wind chill temperatures and suggestions for further reading. This seventh edition, written by a team of more than 40 expert climbers, reflects changes in equipment and technique, with new chapters on waterfall ice climbing and mixed climbing, physical conditioning, and land stewardship issues. It's also enhanced with 415 new illustrations depicting the "chimney technique" and the "twin-rope technique," among other maneuvers, and a new "ten essentials" list. Although the prose is workmanlike at best ("understanding fall factor and how it determines impact forces is fundamental to safe leading"), this work remains a must-have for climbing enthusiasts.

In reply to:
Since publication of the first edition in 1960, Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills has endured as THE classic mountaineering text. Novice climbers use it as a primer; veterans use it to review their skills.

The more than forty contributors to Freedom 7 are all active climbers who regularly use and teach the skills about which they write. They have also incorporated comments and suggestions from veteran climbers around the world. This is a resource trusted by mountaineering communities everywhere.

In reply to:
Whether you are an aspiring mountaineer or a professional guide, this is one book that fits in your library and will continue to get serious use. Not only is this a classic in terms of its definitive instruction, it is also up-to-date.

Who would want to climb "hills"? I guess anyone who enjoys the outdoors... Me personally, I simply enjoy the challenge, exercise, endurance required, and experiences gained. Same reason I like climbing "rocks".

And it is hardly just an introductory or beginners text, and is hardly out-of-date. Next.

Appeal to authority, lives in Utah. I think we can guess the rest.

Jay

threebadfish

Sep 21, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #69 of 115 (3629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
threebadfish wrote:
jt512 wrote:
threebadfish wrote:

Jay

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

I doubt you could guess the rest. ;) I would love to hear an attempt though. I could make some assumptions about your alleged lack of humility, but I'm not actually arrogant enough to do so.

jt512

Sep 21, 2009, 7:45 PM
Post #70 of 115 (3623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

threebadfish wrote:
jt512 wrote:
threebadfish wrote:
jt512 wrote:
threebadfish wrote:

Jay

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

I doubt you could guess the rest. ;) I would love to hear an attempt though. I could make some assumptions about your alleged lack of humility, but I'm not actually arrogant enough to do so.

Well, you're either religious, so you have an excuse: you can blame your complete lack of critical thinking on your upbringing. Or you're just really, really stupid.

Jay

caughtinside

Sep 21, 2009, 8:15 PM
Post #71 of 115 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
threebadfish wrote:

In reply to:

There are 50 posts in this thread containing more sophisticated and thoughtful responses to the OP than your mindless quoting from a book for n00bs. In the future, you can save yourself some embarrassment by actually reading the thread before posting. Checking the date of the last post wouldn't exactly hurt either.

Jay

Good stuff. I think you quoted Advanced Rockcraft at me not so long ago to prove something that doesn't really exist.

hafilax

Sep 21, 2009, 8:30 PM
Post #72 of 115 (3603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

M:FOTH is more of an encyclopedia than a bible. You can get an overview of climbing basics but it's better to look elsewhere for specific information. The rock climbing section is pretty bare bones and general IMO.

jt512

Sep 21, 2009, 8:35 PM
Post #73 of 115 (3602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
M:FOTH is more of an encyclopedia than a bible. You can get an overview of climbing basics but it's better to look elsewhere for specific information. The rock climbing section is pretty bare bones and general IMO.

Sorry, but that's not what the publisher's marketing materials say.

Jay

threebadfish

Sep 21, 2009, 9:14 PM
Post #74 of 115 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] quick belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:

I've referred to it as both a bible and encyclopedia but... not really the point. The point is belaying is a fundamental in any aspect of climbing, and is taught the same way in every book I've ever read. They all emphasize the same thing. The only opposition I've ever heard to this was individuals, and nobody can provide why it is right, wrong, better, safer, or faster. It just seems to be preferential.

jmeizis wrote:
If you want a more professional aspect, AMGA courses teach the BUS method (as far as I've seen). Since they're a partner of the CWA (Climbing Wall Association), I'd say it's pretty safe bet that the BUS method is acceptable. The justification that is given when people ask is that it keeps the brake strand locked off more often and the hand is biomechanically stronger in a palms down orientation. Whethere that's a fact or just trickle down information from policy makers I don't know.

And I only went on to credit the book because Jay pointed it out as a book for n00bs and an out-of-date reference. Both of these are utterly false. Whether or not it is a bible or encyclopedia is pretty irrelevant.

And yes, the climbing section is pretty bare bones, but it covers the fundamentals - one of which being belaying. I didn't mean to suggest it was the most comprehensive rock-climbing text that could be found, but to point out that it is one of the most trusted texts in the field of mountaineering.

Jay, I'm not really sure what you are arguing at this point. You have gone on to insult and discredit me by using religion - absurdity if you ask me. You don't need to have critical thinking skills to lack religion nor do you have to live in Utah to have religion.

And on your either/or fallacy: you are wrong - as I suspected - on both points.

jt512

Sep 21, 2009, 9:28 PM
Post #75 of 115 (3578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

threebadfish wrote:
And I only went on to credit the book because Jay pointed it out as a book for n00bs and an out-of-date reference. Both of these are utterly false.

And the reason you cite that they are false is that the book says they are! Brilliant! The Bible is the infallible word of God. How do we know? Because the Bible says so!

In reply to:
You don't need to have critical thinking skills to lack religion nor do you have to live in Utah to have religion.

But you do need to have a tiny bit of critical thinking skills to see that FOTH is merely an introduction to mountaineering, and is hence a book explicitly written for beginners. And you need an equally small portion of critical thinking skills to realize that just because the book, or its publishers, claim otherwise, in no way means it true.

In reply to:
And on your either/or fallacy: you are wrong - as I suspected - on both points.

Your post demonstrated a complete lack of critical thinking ability. I mean, you used the exact same obviously fallacious circular argument that religious fundamentalists use to "prove" that the bible is the inerrant word of God.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook