Forums: Community: Campground:
The Campground FAQ. PLEASE READ (Updated 04.22.10)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

Partner epoch

Mar 8, 2007, 1:48 AM
Post #1 of 25 (45158 views)
Shortcut

The Campground FAQ. PLEASE READ (Updated 04.22.10)
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't done so, be sure to check out The Dead Horse Graveyard. It's the official FAQ for Rockclimbing.com and is well worth the read.

This is a basic road map for you first time visitors, as well as the old. There is some useful threads to be linked to in here and it will contain links to the most popular threads. Consider it a work in progress. As things change, so will this post.

Please be aware that the overall moderation for the Campground forum is low. Mature content may be present

Some FAQs:

Q. What can I post in here?
A. Anything that doesn't deal with climbing.... except for religion and politics. (See below)

Q. What are the coffee house threads.
A. These threads are started invariably as a means of some of the users getting their morning fix of both coffee and rc.com. It is a way to sit down before the day really gets going and have a chat with other users about nothing in particular.

Q. What are the bar threads.
A. These threads are started invariably as a means of some of the users getting their evening fix of both liquid refreshment and rc.com. It is a way to sit down after the day is done and have a chat with other users about nothing in particular.

Q. Why don't I see political or religious threads.
A. If you feel that you absolutely have to moan and groan about politics or religion, please do so in the SOAPBOX. We know you feel important, but we don't want to hear it in here. Go stand on the pedestal and preach to the choir.

Q. What does NSFW mean?
A. Not Safe For Work. In short, if you are easily offended by mature content then it would be in your best interest to avoid threads that contain this little tag. Also, in the interest of those who view rc.com from work it is a fair warning of mature content. View at your own risk. Further information about what constitutes NSFW content can be found in this thread.

Q. Why?
A. Because.

Sorry, but threads over 25,000 posts will be locked. It's a site performance thing. But dont' worry, they won't be lost, just locked.

Rules for posting in the community forum.

Any mention of a hot chick must be accompanied with pics and just for balance any chick talking about her man needs to post pics of him so the other chicks in community can ogle and drool and be sooo jealous.

wideguy wrote:
rule # 26, Paragraph 2, Line 6 clearly states "Any thread resurrection more than 3 days old must be clearly announced as such or you will be ridiculed as a clueless n00b by people with nothing better to do "

Note that all posts in community should be considered as trolls greater than T5 on the open ended T scale.

If you start a thread, it is your responsibility to keep it on your topic. Drifts happen more often than one would think, and there are a few threads that continue to live on post-topic for some time. The original brent_e thread is one of them.

If you get into a "flame war" with somebody you keep it to ONE THREAD. If you start following somebody from thread to thread to continue your catfight, you will be banned.

Split personalities are frowned upon. You are given one time to figure out who you are in, this, the land of the internet anonymous. The creation of multiple user accounts is poor form and could get your main account and the other account(s) banned.

Read around a bit before you post.

We are a dynamic community and some of the regulars have been around for a while. There are lots of in-jokes so if you try to jump right in and start new threads, it will make everyone sad. Try responding to someone else's thread first, rather than starting your own.

Q. But where are all these "Threads" I keep hearing about?

A. First there are the classics:
The Official RC.com Troll Owners Guide
The Tangential Thread
Word Association: Take Off And ........go!!!!!!!
The Best Thread Ever Poetry made up on the spot.
Ask curt a question thread!
Great Quotes...
Egos, Icons, and the departure of Curt
MURDER at New River Gorge
Jono's Bar The best bar thread.
More realistic beginner's FAQ

Then our modern threads that don't seem to go away:

Threads elsewhere that help create a sense of this community:
Ask The NOOB
Worst photos of RC.com

Recent HOT Topics:

Will there be more??? You decide...

The above threads are an idea as to what goes on in here. As you spend time in here you will become immune to the daily grind of the coffee house and it's equal partner, the bar.

The Campground is one of the three forums where the Moderators take things lightly. While we don't want it to become the wild west, we also play moderator lightly in here. My personal sentiments lie with the consenting adults crowd, but the problem with leaving things completely alone is they tend to drift toward the darker side regardless of people's best intentions. The idea of letting this forum be left alone has come up. The consensus amongst the mods is that we personally have no problem with something like that existing - elsewhere. For example, I don't mind going to the occasional strip club but I don't want to run or own one. Same goes for that kind of community, we have no problem with it existing per se somewhere out there on the Internet, but there are some not-so-good ramifications of it existing inside Rockclimbing.com that we'd rather avoid. So for the consenting adults crowd, we get it, but we can't do it.
Come on in, get comfy. This is the place to talk about things other than climbing. If you find a thread that is ultra popular or is a classic post it or let me know and I'll add it.

Cheers!

Disclaimer:
This FAQ does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, www.rockclimbing.com, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; © Copyright; all rights reserved; This thread is distribution copyrighted to the extent that you may distribute this posting and all its associated parts freely but you may not make a profit from it or include the article or parts of it in commercial publications, or as part of any fee-based services or products; further redistributions only allowed unedited and in its entirety by electronic transfer (anonymous FTP, Gopher, WWW and mail servers), storage media, and printed copy as long as this notice is included and no monetary fee is charged; content subject to change without notice; text is slightly enlarged to show detail; resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; all models are over 18 years of age; dry clean only; do not bend, fold, or mutilate; anchovies or jalapenos added to upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions are allowed; for a limited time only while supplies last; Offer void where prohibited; content is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; user assumes full liabilities; not liable for damages due to use or misuse; equal opportunity joke employer; no shoes, no shirt, no service; caveat emptor; read at your own risk; content may contain material some readers find objectionable; parental advisory: explicit lyrics; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; no money down; no purchase necessary; ask us about our guns-for-hate-mail trade-in plan; you need not be present to win; some assembly required; batteries not included; action figures sold separately; contents may have settled during mailing; sanitized and sealed for your protection; Do not use if safety seal is broken; do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment; safety goggles may be required during use; call before you dig; use only with proper ventilation; for external use only; if a swelling, redness, rash, or irritation develops, and you don't discontinue use you totally deserve a swelling, redness, rash, or irritation; Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; keep away from open flames; avoid inhaling fumes or contact with mucous membranes; contents under pressure, may explode if incinerated; smoking may be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; Text is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball; no animals were used to test the content provided herein; no salt, MSG, preservatives, artificial color or flavor added; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult a comedian; ribbed for your pleasure; slippery when wet; must be 18 to enter; possible penalties for early withdrawal; one size fits all; offer is valid only at participating Internet sites; slightly higher south of the Bombays; Allow four to six weeks for delivery; if defects are found, do not try to fix them yourself, but return to an authorized service center; please remain seated until the plane has come to a complete stop; objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear; This disclaimer does NOT cover hurricanes, drug overdoses, stress, lawyers of any kind, small bombs, large bombs, sheer stupidity, floods, earthquakes, dangerous streets, dangerous pilots and other Acts of God, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, unauthorized repair, improper installation, misuse, typos, misspelled words, missing or altered signatures, and incidents owing to computer or disk failure, accidental file deletions, or milk coming out of your nose due to laughing while drinking; other restrictions may apply. If something offends you, lighten up, get a life, and move on.

(This post was edited by epoch on Apr 27, 2010, 12:28 AM)

Partner brent_e

Mar 8, 2007, 1:35 PM
Post #2 of 25 (45091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LaughLaughLaugh

good work Jay!

Partner wideguy

Mar 8, 2007, 1:58 PM
Post #3 of 25 (45079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you forgot

Q: Why does everyone seem so mean in the campground?

A: Because you're a ponce. Grow a sack and come back when you have a sense of humor.

madriver

Mar 8, 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #4 of 25 (44995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Q: What posts are deemed to deserve flaming?
A: Any "Look at me, Look at me post"

Q: What is a "Look at me post?"
A: Any post that involves what the poster is reading as to indicate how smart or hip that poster is, what music he/she deems better and kewler than yours, any post that indicates the poster is a lawyer, any post that would be a Jerry Springer show topic i.e...."my girlfriend is leaving me for a guy that has a life", any post that involves pics of the poster in a flattering pose, i.e (posing naked by a trash dumpster). Basically any post in campground is fair game, but some are more worthy that others.

Love and Flames

MaDly back

(This post was edited by madriver on Mar 8, 2007, 8:18 PM)

climb_eng

Aug 24, 2007, 5:23 AM
Post #5 of 25 (44302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] First Time to the Campground? THE FAQ. (8.23.7) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pleeez but meeetbomz in faq.

snoopy138

Aug 24, 2007, 6:29 AM
Post #6 of 25 (44293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] First Time to the Campground? THE FAQ. (8.23.7) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
Pleeez but meeetbomz in faq.

will do. just a sampling.

NSFW

Aug 24, 2007, 4:37 PM
Post #7 of 25 (44274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] First Time to the Campground? THE FAQ. (8.23.7) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Partner j_ung

Aug 29, 2007, 2:57 PM
Post #8 of 25 (44221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NSFW] First Time to the Campground? THE FAQ. (8.23.7) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LaughLaugh

I don't know what the hell a meatbomb is and I think it's about the funniest thing on Earth.

imnotclever

Nov 29, 2007, 9:42 PM
Post #9 of 25 (43683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] First Time to the Campground? THE FAQ. (11.29.07) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball;

Smile Oh, I will. I remember that one, btw.

dr_feelgood

Dec 14, 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #10 of 25 (43571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] First Time to the Campground? THE FAQ. (11.29.07) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoo! Post 8000!!! And this fucker is staying here forever! Yeah sticky threads!

limeydave

Mar 4, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #11 of 25 (43049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
you forgot

A: Because you're a ponce. Grow a sack and come back when you have a sense of humor.

Do people say ponce in America?

robbovius

Mar 13, 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #12 of 25 (43002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

limeydave wrote:
wideguy wrote:
you forgot

Do people say ponce in America?

it makes them feel Smaht.

Partner macherry

May 4, 2008, 8:11 PM
Post #13 of 25 (42786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They always come back (tm.). I'll take credit for this one..............and i have tradmarked it.

This phrase will be used after a user has a hissy fit and publicly announces they are taking their toys and going home. Inevitably the user comes back...........unless they are perma- banned, which sometimes entices users to post under another user name. But be aware, you will be found out and banned again.

snoopy138

May 5, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #14 of 25 (42784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
They always come back (tm.). I'll take credit for this one..............and i have tradmarked it.

This phrase will be used after a user has a hissy fit and publicly announces they are taking their toys and going home. Inevitably the user comes back...........unless they are permabanzed, which sometimes entices users to post under another user name. But be aware, you might be found out and banzed again.

fixed that for you.

sungam

Aug 18, 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #15 of 25 (42220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

heres a question, dunno if it's frequently asked or not but...
What are the 10 longest threads on this site?
I know the top 10 in campground are:
1)OBET
2)Peeeega tea shop
3)Word asscociation take of and go
4)the lounge
5)FREE WORD ASSOCIATION!!!!!.......GO!!!
6)Brent_e thread 2 (title shortened)
7)The person above you
8)The longest thread! *we can do it!* [or not...]
And, in good rc.com style:
9)Sex with whoM?????
10)Singles of rc.com

I guess the Mass Climbers thread is around 3rd or 4th, and the eurofreaks is around 6th, but it was locked and reopened in a new one, which (combined) would put them in 5th, although if the word association threads were put together they would be in... still in third. or something.
Whatever- I can't sleep.

Partner epoch

Sep 22, 2008, 1:20 PM
Post #16 of 25 (42118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
heres a question, dunno if it's frequently asked or not but...
What are the 10 longest threads on this site?
I know the top 10 in campground are:
1)OBET
2)Peeeega tea shop
3)Word asscociation take of and go
4)the lounge
5)FREE WORD ASSOCIATION!!!!!.......GO!!!
6)Brent_e thread 2 (title shortened)
7)The person above you
8)The longest thread! *we can do it!* [or not...]
And, in good rc.com style:
9)Sex with whoM?????
10)Singles of rc.com

I guess the Mass Climbers thread is around 3rd or 4th, and the eurofreaks is around 6th, but it was locked and reopened in a new one, which (combined) would put them in 5th, although if the word association threads were put together they would be in... still in third. or something.
Whatever- I can't sleep.
Worthless without links...

[and you may want to reorder your list...

sungam

Sep 22, 2008, 5:29 PM
Post #17 of 25 (42111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Smile gimme a sec...

sungam

Oct 18, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #18 of 25 (41786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, so it was more like a month then a second.
Anywhoozlebees...

1) The You Might Be Brent_E if... \at ~90+ thousand posts

2) the Congrats to the BET ~25+ thousand posts

3) The MASS CLIMBERS thread At ~21+ thousand posts

4) The combined efforts of the Word association game 1 & 2 at ~12+ thousand posts.

5) The Lounge at almost 10 thousand posts.

6) Sty's Post Count Increaser at almost 5 thousand posts [+/- 1K]

7) The eurofreak's threads 1 & 2 at ~4 thousand posts.

8) !Alert! Brent_e thread threatens to swamp community!!! (a.k.a. the BET 2.0) at almost 3.5 thousand posts.

9) The Person above you at just over 3 thousand posts.

10) The longest thread *we can do it* which almost reached 2 thousand posts.

Just missing the list is Wildtrail's "Sex with whoM" thread.

sungam

Oct 9, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #19 of 25 (40522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] The Campground FAQ. PLEASE READ (Updated 10.07.09) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

19K, forever stickied.

Partner philbox

May 3, 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #20 of 25 (39964 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] The Campground FAQ. PLEASE READ (Updated 10.07.09) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Posting to thread rules

bill413

May 3, 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #21 of 25 (39948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madriver] First Time to the Community Campground? Here's your FAQ. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

madriver wrote:
Q: What posts are deemed to deserve flaming?
A: Any "Look at me, Look at me post"

Fixt.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Apr 27, 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #22 of 25 (39336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] The Campground FAQ. PLEASE READ (Updated 04.22.10) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wanted to give this thread a bump. And let you know you should probably get rid of the coffee and drinks references.

sungam

Apr 28, 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #23 of 25 (39328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] The Campground FAQ. PLEASE READ (Updated 04.22.10) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear gaia how things change!

Toast_in_the_Machine

Apr 28, 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #24 of 25 (39270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] The Campground FAQ. PLEASE READ (Updated 04.22.10) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Dear gaia how things change!

Well, except for the "consider everyone in the campground a troll", that is still the same.

Partner epoch

Apr 28, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #25 of 25 (39265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] The Campground FAQ. PLEASE READ (Updated 04.22.10) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I should do some work on this.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook